Mondrian painting hung upside-down for 75 years, mocking everyone who ever stood in front of it stroking their smug pretentious chins

Originally published at: Mondrian painting hung upside-down for 75 years, mocking everyone who ever stood in front of it stroking their smug pretentious chins | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Stroking smug, pretentious chins? Is this a new way of protesting petroleum use? Are we going to hear of protestors stoking portraits of the Hapsburgs?

6 Likes

Beauty is in the eye of the upsidedown beholder.

17 Likes

I have bought abstract paintings I found at the flea market that are not signed, and that I simply liked how they looked. I would flip them around occasionally and voila’: a whole new painting.

There definitely is a lot of ridiculous and self-important, overly intellectualized bullshit in the art world, but the professional art critics and their word-salad opinions have no power over those of us that just like pretty pictures, including meaningless globs of color.

40 Likes

55 Likes

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

6 Likes

I hope there is a person out there who laughed their ass off about purposely hanging that upside down and no one noticing for decades

20 Likes

Abstract painting hung upside-down get a shrug from me.

Representational art hung upside-down? Now that’s a giggle.

17 Likes

Maybe it was upside down in his studio! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Who placed the wire/mounting hardware? Was it the artist or the gallery? Entirely possible it was upside down on the easel for a time because it would be easier to access the area he was working on.

Also - when it comes to this sort of thing - orientation isn’t really that important.

17 Likes

That’s bound to be the theme of at least one carnival float next year.
Possibly at Cologne, though.

5 Likes

" Le Bateau caused a minor stir when the Museum of Modern Art, New York, which housed it, hung the work upside-down for 47 days in 1961 until Genevieve Habert, a stockbroker, noticed the mistake and notified a guard. Habert later informed *The New York Times, which in turn notified Monroe Wheeler, the Museum’s art director. As a result, the artwork was rehung properly."

What a tortuous chain of events; it could be the plot to a Wes Anderson film. I’d like to see Adrien Brody cast as “the guard”, and Tild Swinton as “the stockbroker, Genevieve Habert”.

@Mister44 Orientation is, I hear, a Social Construct.

29 Likes

˙ǝɯ oʇ ǝuıɟ sʞooן ƃuıʇuıɐd ǝɥ⊥

30 Likes

How about rotating it by 90° four times a year.
Make it an event, a party to celebrate art, artists and the people who enjoy them. And let the art dealers pay for it.

21 Likes

The joke is still on the gallery, the image is still 90 degrees out of true; Mondrian created it as a table cloth.

17 Likes

All set; let’s go!

source PF Frequently Asked Questions

17 Likes

Or a ceiling painting to decorate the bridge of - you know what, scratch that.

4 Likes

There’s a statue in Coventry they can protest around

8 Likes

That is not true.

Humans have a primal understanding of color, composition, etc. of the world around them. Art works to support or offset our expectations.

There is a significant difference in how that piece of art is perceived, depending on whether the far-apart yellow or the close-together blue dominates the upper part of the canvas.

One could argue for either orientation, but the point is the artist would have had a specific orientation in mind, and created the piece based on that.

17 Likes

:notes: Jimmy Hill, Jimmy Hill, Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy; Jimmy :notes:

1 Like