Protestors throw tomato soup on van Gogh painting

Originally published at: Protestors throw tomato soup on van Gogh painting | Boing Boing

3 Likes

wait – is it because it’s an oil painting?

35 Likes

It’s probably because it’s an oil painting that it wasn’t damaged. But tomato is acidic, so it’s good they got it off right away.

13 Likes

Seems like a Warhol would have been the obvious choice.

35 Likes

Not if they wanted to destroy art.

5 Likes

It didn’t get damaged because it’s under glass.

16 Likes

What kind of glue? The paint/skin interface is a difficult one to do effectively.

3 Likes

Jesus Christ, do they really think that the people destroying the planet give a shit about art? It’s like they’re protesting police brutality at a Broadway theater.

44 Likes

Tha fuq does a Van Gogh painting have to to do with their cause?

Non sequitur much?

25 Likes

Are you sure? Very few paintings get that treatment, because it affects the ability to appreciate the artwork in detail.

3 Likes

No security at the London National Gallery? I would think at least a simple bag check or metal detector would have noticed cans of soup.

I did a quick glance at their website to see what the procedure was but I got distracted by this.

https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/about-us/press-and-media/press-releases/changing-places-facility-installed-at-the-national-gallery

This is way cool and should be installed in all public places.

5 Likes

“We are not trying to make friends here, we are trying to make change, and unfortunately this is the way that change happens.”

Oh, how quaint that they think that.

23 Likes

I know why! Vincent hated tomato soup, the mere sight of it made him sick. They do know he’s dead, right…

3 Likes

What I don’t understand is: appreciation of the timeless value of art is so similar to appreciation of the timeless value of the natural world. Preserving both is the more obvious connection, not pitting them against each other. Is there really someone who values Van Gogh’s work who doesn’t also value the sunflowers he painted?

35 Likes

Sunflower oil - they’re against it! Canola or olive oil only!

8 Likes

Ummm… you really don’t understand how persuasion works, do you?

17 Likes

Make war not art!

6 Likes

Fixed it. Sometimes they go hand-in-hand, sometimes not…IMHO not worth it in this particular case…

22 Likes

They could really stand to do some focus group research.

ETA: simple questions like, is a climate protest throwing soup on a Van Gogh going to make you think more or less positively about the climate change movement?

14 Likes

“We value life and food. We will demonstrate this by vandalizing a dead man’s painting of flowers with food. We will cover the image with cans of soup and glue ourselves nearby. Observers should obviously recognize this as a meaningful step toward ending energy dependence on fossil fuels.”

14 Likes