Just Stop Oil Activists attack Velázquez painting in London

Originally published at: Activists Attack Velázquez Artwork at National Gallery in Oil Protest

1 Like

I continue to believe that organizations that vandalize art for the sake of stopping oil companies are entirely funded by oil companies.

14 Likes

That would make sense, but these activist types are entirely capable of being stupid, edgy fools doing stuff that’s entirely counterproductive to their supposed goals all on their own.

13 Likes

Maybe they’re funded by oil paint companies.

13 Likes

I’m willing to bet that Valasquez has done more for humanity than these two ever will.

8 Likes

To be fair, Velázquez did use oil paints.

14 Likes

The only thing these morons are going to accomplish is to make it unaffordable for galleries to display art to the general public. Great job, folks; less art is e exactly what people need.

14 Likes

While they were in that area, there’s a small pair of detours I could have suggested, rather than this bit of vandalism

That’s two very relevant targets less than a mile’s walk away.

6 Likes

Yeah, this is escalating. Attacking the glass shows an intention to actually damage the painting rather than trying to avoid that, as they did before.

11 Likes

What’s more, anyone stupid enough to think this is an effective protest most likely doesn’t know their organisation is entirely funded by oil companies.

In contrast, a recent example of a climate protest that got results:

12 Likes

Warning!!! Unnecessary Pedantry Up Ahead: Vegetable oils were used in artist’s paints in the 17th century. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes
9 Likes

Something that never made it into Mary Roach’s Stiff.

2 Likes

Usual reddit apologetics.

3 Likes

An art gallery AGAIN? I didn’t think this was a good idea the first time, but I could maybe accept it as part of a poorly-planned strategy to make themselves seen by hitting surprising targets, however tenuous their connection to the oil industry. But at this point they just look like absolute morons who are too stupid, lazy and uncreative to do anything but mindlessly repeat the same misguided action over and over. I also doubt they actually care about oil at all. This isn’t activism any more, it’s vandalism as a hobby.

6 Likes

They confused Diego Velázquez with Exxon Valdez?

8 Likes

Funny, there’s no mention of Mary Richardson slashing a 17th Century masterpiece anywhere on the Wikipedia page summarizing the most important figures and milestones of the womens’ suffrage movement in Canada. Must be an oversight.

ETA: I guess she’s more famous for her activism in the UK?

3 Likes

When you think about it, even Carrie Nation went to the source of the problem instead of smashing up the local livery.

2 Likes

Diego Velázquez could not be reached for comment.

3 Likes

His self-portrait does have some “Seriously?” energy to it though.

9 Likes