Anti-oil activists spray Stonehenge with orange paint (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/19/anti-oil-activists-spray-stonehenge-with-orange-paint-video.html

2 Likes

I’m trying to understand their logic here:

1. Deface a UNESCO World Heritage Site that predates the use of any fossil fuels by millennia
  2. Get everyone pissed off at you
  3. ???
  4. Successfully eliminate the use of fossil fuels worldwide

Were they using the underpants gnomes as consultants or something?

49 Likes

Contributed by Allan Rose Hill

11 Likes

Funny how they never seem to target oil companies or polluters or capitalism in general.

It’s almost like they are actively trying to undermine the environmental movement by going after the art lovers and history buffs instead of the people actually responsible for climate change.

58 Likes

good for them? what is the link supposed to mean? this is probably super obvious, but i’m missing it.

1 Like

That’s the author of this article. Authors that don’t have a BBS account just get tagged “BB Contributor”, and the link just goes to their list of articles.

10 Likes

The names of some BB contributors don’t appear in the BBS comment thread for their story. Allan Rose Hill is one such contributor. Some regular Boingers only access posts through the BBS rather than through the blog. This helps them see who the contributor is.

coca cola soda GIF
@sqlrob beat me to it

18 Likes

I’m trying to find the connection. Were the Druids in cahoots with big oil?

13 Likes

9 Likes

You know, rather than all the “I don’t get it” comments, maybe people could go to Just Stop Oil’s website and find out what they’re doing, and why. You can disagree with this form of protest, but it’s been around for a long time, so I don’t understand why so many people are saying they don’t get it. Anywho, here are links for anyone who wants answers.

12 Likes

That is entirely disingenuous.

What makes you think that they haven’t? Perhaps they have and, you know, can see through the bullshit.

24 Likes

I understand their ideas and goals, but all these actions are doing is a) getting them arrested and b) making people think they’re morons. They are not getting people to protest oil and other fossil fuels. Publicity that undermines your message by getting people to think you are criminal morons is not the kind of bad publicity that helps your cause. These actions also aren’t going to influence the people behind fossil fuels one iota, except to laugh as they read a briefing note about what the criminal morons got up to this week.

28 Likes

If the point of a protest is unclear to anyone who hasn’t visited the protesters’ website and read their manifesto then maybe it is the protesters who need to work on their messaging skills.

I understand their goals. I do not understand why they believe these tactics help further those goals.

50 Likes

I will not be surprised when it turns out this is just some Merchants of Doubt corporate psyops.

10 Likes

Chaining yourself to a tree to stop logging is self-explanatory. If your awareness-raising activity requires a visit to a website to explain (poorly) both it’s meaning and it’s intentions, then you fail at awareness-raising.

21 Likes

This. For a counterexample, look at the protest with the king’s painting. There’s no question what it was about, and if any articles include the picture, the message is RIGHT THERE.

These guys could be completely neutered by journalists (or the big companies that control most outlets) just saying “vandals spray painted X orange” and leave it at that.

9 Likes

I’m guessing the goofs haven’t read this one.

5 Likes

If they’re dead set on throwing paint on things, why not the BP offices?

13 Likes

Or if it does, at least spray paint the URL.

1 Like

Should have gotten a shorter URL, maybe

2 Likes