Gentleman glues his head to Vermeer’s “Girl With a Pearl Earring”

Originally published at: Gentleman glues his head to Vermeer's "Girl With a Pearl Earring" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I am just going to pop over to the Louvre, and throw gummy bears at the Venus de Milo.

Doing weird shit to old art is the new art.

18 Likes

At least he wasn’t trying to get people to cut down on fossil fuels.

9 Likes

Amateur.

mind-meld

34 Likes

it’s more of those “stop big oil” idiots. They want attention - I suggest stealing their pants. That’s HELPING!

Their protest is entirely ineffective - they’re modern-day shoebombers - but 15 years from now when your kids ask why the art is 8 feet away behind half-inch bulletproof glass - you’ll be able to tell them why.

12 Likes

Why don’t these people get the shit beaten out of them?

4 Likes

Yes! Old school “streaking” would get attention and without the vast majority of people wanting to open up a Warhol-sized can of whoop-ass on them.

4 Likes

Thank god these people came up with an intensely unlikeable gimmick to get the attention of people who were probably already concerned and engaged with their viewpoint in the first place. Put a litterbox in a middleschool bathroom next time to really make a statement to the Carlson crowd, cool, keep going

7 Likes

Yes, because violence is an appropriate response to an annoying and misguided, but ultimately harmless, protest. /s

10 Likes

I prefer Volkswagen’s approach:
Close the doors for a few days.

Once word gets out that you’ll be cold, hungry, thirsty, soiled, and ignored and maybe the threats will stop.

Even odds that throat slitting would have the same outcome (tho it would guarantee no repeat offenders)

I think it shows a lack of vision that it was a gentleman and not a woman named Pearl

3 Likes

Really? You’re comparing ham-fisted environmentalists to a guy who (ineptly) tried to blow up a plane in order to kill a bunch of people? Not the same thing AT ALL… They may be entire ineffectual, but they are not bent on killing people to get their point across, FFS.

Because they can just be arrested instead? Are you in favor of the police beating people?

21 Likes

It is another “Just stop oil” protest. They’re just getting more and more elaborate - and somewhat confused. This time the one guy glued himself to the painting (well, the glass in front of the painting) and then the other guy poured soup on him

The paintings already are. All the paintings being targeted are behind protective glass (and thus aren’t being impacted), thanks to generations of previous attention seekers, a number of whom actually did damage the art. Nothing will change as a result of these particular stunts.

6 Likes

Oh, these unoriginal and ineffective attention-seekers again. Forgotten by the time the Topic closes.

2 Likes

Glue him to a bench outside when he gets free & leave him there for a day or two.

4 Likes

… OR WAS HE :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Well I can’t think of a better way to harden the resolve of the people you’re trying to convince.

2 Likes

In that they’re both ineffective ham-fisted attempts to break the law and try to change the world, and failed miserably, but will also prompt even more security measures that ruin things for normal people? You bet I compare them. Because you’re right - they didn’t try to kill anyone, but you can bet there will be a huge security overreaction to the activity, so what their intent was is kind of irrelevant.

2 Likes

Eventually someone will slip up, and glue themselves to something from that can’t give them the slip so easily. Then they’ll really be in a sticky situation.

4 Likes

Nicely done. Ha.

If they had a kid would it be a Vermeerlcan or a Vulcmeer?