Monica Lewinsky on what it's like to be slut-shamed by the entire world

Granted, the best way to keep something secret is to tell no one, but to tell someone, does not mean to tell everyone either. Iwould think Linda did the airing while Monica did some confiding.

2 Likes

Probably saved you from skipping over the “as”.

1 Like

It was a bit more complicated. He wasn’t impeached for the bj. He was being sued by Paula Jones for harassment. During the deposition, he was asked about Lewinsky … and lied. The impeachment trial was for perjury.

2 Likes

no, i’ve never heard that angle before and hadn’t even considered it. hearing it now, i think it’s a ridiculous excuse at best.

The world? In these parts it was mostly “Americans are sure nosy. Why do they act as if they had any stakes in what two consenting adults do.”

3 Likes

I’m not sure where you live but I was in Australia for most of 1998 and I can assure you there were no shortage of Lewinski jokes to be heard there at the time. Some were obviously made for a non-American audience, like “she was hard of hearing, he actually said to hold his calls and sack his cook” (an American would say “fire” instead of “sack”). So it might not have literally been “the entire world” but it went well beyond America’s shores.

Yes. It is a terrible thing to do to someone.

Bear in mind, though, that the only reason she was the centre of attention at a live taping 3-years after the event was because of said blowjob. I mean, it’s not like she was the world’s greatest ever intern, or that anyone was there waiting for pearls of wisdom on the correct way to file cabinet papers to drop from her lips.

Call it “slut-faming”, if you like. Lewinsky was/is famous because of the BJ, not in spite of it.

1 Like

It was not complicated at all: the legal issue with the least-terrible traction was perjury (NOT HARASSMENT, FFS, YOU JUST SAID THIS) about a private matter that had nothing to do with his office. The legal precedent was pretty clearly against pursuit or conviction on that charge. The only reason the case went as far as it did was the political need to find something, anything, to nail on the target in the media and during the '98 midterm election. They didn’t find much, so instead of falling on their face before the election, the Rs held their little show trial in the House a month after the election.

Also, they kept the story alive with slutshaming and trying to trying an adultery case in the media. Very simple media-campaign-garbage which punished two people for consensual sex.

6 Likes

Like, what is she supposed to do? Go live in a cave for 5, 10, or 15 years until everything had blown over and she could do anything in public, and get a job, without all sorts of people dredging up her past? Or does she only deserve sympathy if she suffered nobly instead of trying to make lemonade from her lemons? I find it hard to blame her for trying to get something good out of the terrible situation she was in, and I’m pretty darn sure that if she had the option to exchange those red-carpet visits for a life of anonymity she would take the latter.

4 Likes

And Marilyn Monroe is known to have been involved with Kennedy…

The simple fact is that when you have an affair with a figurehead as famous/influential/powerful etc… as the POTUS, that’s probably going to be the “biggest” thing you’ve ever done. People aren’t just going to forget it and say “well, it was 16 years ago…”.

Now if Monica figures out an effective Ebola Vaccine or something else, she’ll be famous for something much more important than a BJ, but until then…

Adult society is no better than elementary school in this respect. Do something “big” and notable, and that’s going to be what you’re known for. Crap your pants at an assembly? You’re the pants crapper. Bj to someone behind the bleachers? You’re the BJ queen. That is, until you do something bigger and more notable (which IMHO Monica has not done to date).

Maybe she would have preferred to have a chance to make a name for herself in another way without being burdened with a name that has become synonymous with “blowjob intern.” Maybe she never sought to be famous for anything and just wanted to pursue a nice quiet life of public service.

Either way, once she was dragged into the public eye as the young woman who fellated a President then “not being famous” was no longer an option.

2 Likes

Not get off track, but Wikipedia keeps a useful tally of Federal Political Sex Scandals in the United States. The record goes back to 1776. I’m mentioning it because it helps to put into perspective the (quite large) number of sex scandals we have involving our leaders in this country all the time.

It also includes (correctly) the useful reminders that:

• Bill Clinton wasn’t impeached for his sexual relationship with Lewinsky, but for perjury. (Something people often forget.) He lied when he was under oath and said, “I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky.” That was in 1998.

• That same year, Newt Gingrich (who drove the attack against Clinton) was forced to resign from the House. His own scandal broke during the Clinton impeachment, and it involved him having an affair with HIS intern while married to his second wife. (Try to name that intern without looking her up. Betcha can’t!)

Socially, conservatively, speaking:
Men are often forgiven for their foibles when it comes to sex, possibly because they’re perceived as the sex that has less control over their passions. Women are supposed to be “less interested” in sex or if they are interested, it should only be with their one, partnered man. A woman who will sleep with another woman’s man knowingly or several partners, is considered to be a very bad thing: A “slut”.

At the time the scandal broke, Lewinsky gave a 20/20 interview where she apologized to Hillary and Chelsea. Here’s that clip. She acknowledged her role in the affair, and said it was consensual. I think her statement that she was a willing participant is a part of why people have held such resentment toward her for so long. She didn’t lie and say, “That powerful man simply overtook me.” Instead she said (seriously paraphrasing here), “We had an illicit affair and both enjoyed it, and I apologize for any pain I’ve caused.”

She’s suffering from the same controversy as Sandra Fluke.
Both women (horrors!) enjoyed sex - voluntarily.

8 Likes

Sure it is. Continuing to give interviews about it, 16 years later, is her choice, her option.

She should never have been shamed in the first place. That was disgraceful, and is completely on the Republicans. But that the story continues to have legs? Yeah, she’s not completely innocent there.

1 Like

Who? Seriously, I’m drawing a blank here (that I do not intend to fill in by googling) … which probably doesn’t help the point you’re trying to make.
¯|__(ڗ)_/¯

Fluke is the law student that Rush Limbaugh railed against on the radio calling her a “slut” and a “prostitute” when she said that insurance should pay for female oral contraceptives. He also said that she was having “too much sex” to pay for the contraceptives herself, thus displaying a complete misunderstanding of how they work, and also any consideration for, oh, all females.

P.S. She was talking about medical uses of the drugs.

P.P.S. He lost massive amounts of advertising backing due to the story.

EDIT: I originally wrote “She’s a lesbian.” in my P.S. and that was my mistake (it’s often conflated). Fluke is straight, and is a good friend to the LGBTQ community. When she first wanted to speak to Congress it was partially to discuss her college friends (many of whom are lesbians, and only need medical uses of contraceptives), but she is not gay herself. (She was not there to talk about sexual uses of oral contraceptives. Limbaugh forced that issue.) I would never intentionally “out” someone or make a false claim on their sexuality, so I’m happy to fix this!

4 Likes

Perhaps the English speaking world. In my experience the views on sexes and nudity (or the lack of distinction between these two) are very much the same in countries settled by the British.

Ok, soooo, I remember her now. The reason I said I wouldn’t google her is because I didn’t want to define her by whatever it was that you’ve defined her by.

Limbaugh is an utter shitbag, but you let him define Fluke by their shared interaction. And you’ve just rebroadcast that interaction to anyone besides me who’d forgotten about it.

Actually, no I didn’t. Fluke was still in the press in the U.S. as of January this year, when she considered a Congressional run - her story is not ancient history, and neither is she.

What I said was that Lewinsky was seen as a problem because she admitted she liked sex. (Which is a false double standard applied to women.)

Fluke also said she liked sex, and said that she wasn’t going to claim that oral contraceptives should only be available for medical reasons, but that sex was a perfectly acceptable reason to make them available (as a lesbian, she herself didn’t need them for that purpose).

You might have bothered to look this up first.

2 Likes

My wife (Monika) came from the US to study in Germany in 1998. It may be a common name in Germany too, but it took a while for her to get over the “Monika from America” stigma.

I remember the background very well, although I’d broken the mental link between her name and her story. Is that a good thing? I don’t know. But if I’d met her in the street, the first thing flashing through my mind - until an hour ago - would not have been “lesbian slut.” Which is exactly the association I was attempting to avoid. It probably would be now. So … thanks for that. I guess.

To rewind, for those playing along at home.

1. I said Lewinsky was milking her fame. So as well as being unjustifiably and wrongly slut-shamed, since then she’s also partaken in a bit of slut-faming.
  2. You said, no she’s just getting picked on for enjoying sex, like Fluke.
  3. I pointed out that I couldn’t remember who Fluke was, as a way of illustrating that - at lest in this little back water - Fluke continued shaming isn’t working. And I was happy with that.
  4. you filled me in on the details, so that continued shaming of Fluke has made it here now too. Good work.