Monkey patiently shows human how to crush leaves

Mine are round.

5 Likes

The flaw in your reasoning, is that we have TWO eyes, set horizontally. Our vision is not a circle, but more of an elongated oval oriented horizontally.

What shape were your school photos?

1 Like

Let’s just end these format arguments - the proper shape is a horizontal rectangle, as anybody who had ever viewed sculpture knows.

1 Like

i lay down at least 1/3rd of the time. At least!

For tonight’s viewing pleasure, Lawrence of Arabia will be projected onto a replica of Rodin’s The Thinker.

I like the Google Camera’s passive-aggressive way of doing it: if you’re holding the phone vertically when the app is in video mode, it puts an icon in the middle of the screen to prompt you to turn the phone 90 degrees. It still lets you do it, mind, but it subtly hints that you’re doing it wrong.

Better tell that hack da Vinci that he fucked up, then.

The reason we dislike portrait video (“Portrait!” It’s right there in the name!) is that you can’t properly fullscreen it on the typical monitor. That’s a okay reason by itself. We don’t need to keep making up new ones to reinforce the point.

6 Likes

Why, my class group photo was in landscape mode. Thanks for asking. But we’re discussing video. You get that, right? Not still photography. Not sculptures. Not paintings.

I’m pretty sure the video is not in landscape mode.

You are correct insofar as our peripheral vision extends further horizontally than vertically, but in watching TV and movies at a comfortable viewing distance, the screen width on the retina does not extend beyond the range of stereoscopic vision (where the images converge). The area of stereoscopic vision is close to a circle. The camera lens that gives the most “natural” results on a camera has a focal length roughly equal to the diagonal of the image. Stereoscopic cameras tended to have a slightly longer focal length to ensure that the image, at correct viewing distance, fitted completely into that circle.
(I wrote my photography thesis on this subject, so while I may be wrong, my examiners agreed with me!)

Yes. Those are some big hands. I bet you could really crush some leaves with those big…

Waitaminute.

1 Like

The monkey seems to be thinking “God, you’re bad at this, no, no, let’s just go over this again…”

But really, I don’t understand why people are so offended to think we are related to monkeys/apes, they’re great. If you think this little fellow is smart, wait till you see a chimpanzee!

This is ridiculous. This is like stating our perception has a framerate.

Thank you. This is the thing. It’s a technical, force of habit thing, it always has been, and only stuck with moving pictures, again, because of technical limitations. Composition has no biological reason, it’s hilarious to even suggest it.

[quote=“art_carnage, post:29, topic:50596”] You get that, right? Not still photography. Not sculptures.
[/quote]
You are right. We are talking about composition.
(and not human biology. You get that, right?)

1 Like

23 fps

What I want to know is are we obliged to have the aspect ratio argument every time an editor posts this video? 3/4 of the time? or 9/16 maybe.

5 Likes

Damn shutter in my retina.

1 Like

I for one welcome our new 21/9 overlords.

1 Like

Still wrong. Are you sure you’re not actually Bill Kristol? Moving pictures are meant to be immersive, in a way that other media can’t even approach. And part of that immersive experience is filling the field of vision as much as possible. That’s why we have wide movie screens and wide TV screens. When you shoot vertically, you have failed to capture an immersive experience. It would have been a far more interesting video if we could have seen more of environment the monkey was in, but sadly, that’s opportunity was lost the minute the dunderhead shooting the video held the camera the wrong way.