Monstrum looks at the golden age of Universal monsters

Originally published at: Monstrum looks at the golden age of Universal monsters | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I am looking forward to watching this later on! I love this show.

6 Likes

Thanks. I loved the Universal monsters.

When I was a teenager I was friends with a film industry family whose relative was Jack Pierce, designer of the original makeup for Frankenstein. They told me his artistry was such that he insisted on placing fake scars from shackles on Karloff’s wrists to emphasise that some of the monster’s parts were robbed from the graves of criminals.

4 Likes

Thanks, I really enjoyed that. Growing up in the 70’s as a kid, I remember watching all of these on Creature Features. As well as the campy Abbott and Costello ones.
BTW, speaking of James Whale, I highly recommend “Gods and Monsters” with Ian McKellen and Brendon Fraser.

4 Likes

That was fun and informative, thank you! (funormative). …still would like someone to discover the thoughts of some costume designer long gone as to what/where the notion of the bolts in Frankenstein’s monsters neck were about. Somehow like battery contacts? Hold on the head? decidedly un-Mary_Shelley…

2 Likes

I think make-up artist Jack Pierce’s plan was that they were to conduct electricity, although in the early films no one thought to actually hook them up to anything. They did conduct electricity later though:

3 Likes

Son of Frankenstein and especially Son of Dracula truly sucked. Moving Dracula to America was a bad choice. Son of Frankenstein was way to campy.

1 Like

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.