Moog limited-edition Theremin

2 Likes

No leave it! You had my brain stretching to find the metaphorical referent for mushrooms in an electronic instrument.

2 Likes

I bought the Moog Theremini when it was released and this might be a good cheaper option for modular to experiment with. Also have the touch capacitive Arturia MikroFreak which could also be a good entry level controller (love this machine).

The trouble with kit or cheap theremins is the sensitivity and stability of the pitch antenna… a bit like buying a guitar with a bad action, playing it is probably going to put you off the instrument. The Theremini can pitch quantize to various scales which they’ve added into this new model. At best a great controller but not if you want to master theremin technique with the pro versions.

The Theremini also has the Animoog app sound engine onboard which can also be used as an editor.

Here is a video of Suzanne Ciani on a Buchla system using Animoog on an iPad…no affiliation here, just like the tech and thought you may find this interesting:

4 Likes
5 Likes

As I’ve mentioned in a previous comment I have a Moog Theremini and even this is not the best inroad into learning how to play… it has to do with the linearity of the travel of the hand to the pitch antenna. On the Theremini the hand travel is logarithmic i.e the closer your hand (the higher the pitch) there is increasingly less distance between notes - this is also true of fretted and stringed instruments but very exaggerated.

Here’s an alternative but expressive use of a classic Theramin by Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. While he seems aggressive with one camera person he’s just energetically moving the guy away from the antenna.

@Chaz1 another cool cat with a Theramin:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2owe91

I enjoy playing my theremin with the dog (and I do mean playing it with the dog).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.