Moral panic: Japanese girls risk fingerprint theft by making peace-signs in photographs

Without the Satanic Panic and backlash against Dungeons & Dragons we never would have had Tom Hanks’ best movie evar.

Did I say “best”? It’s probably the worst movie I’ve ever seen. I don’t mean in a fun campy let’s-watch-it-again way. Nobody should endure this piece of shit.

4 Likes

I take offense to ピースサイン as being something exclusive to Japanese young women. It’s kind of epidemic across East Asia among people of all ages and genders. It’s oddly contagious, too.

2 Likes

Thanks. I am thinking of entering my kid in the official contest this year.

1 Like

So I was thinking - so what? Let’s say you have a teenagers finger prints - now what? It isn’t like you are going to use it to get into some secret government facility where they are secretly learning to pilot giant mechas.

3 Likes

In my experience & reading it’s not a thing here. There is the general human tendency to misjudge risk or misunderstand causes of events but not in the moral panic sense.

The original article didn’t mention teenagers. Celebrities were mentioned however…

Resolve this fingerprint, biatch.

You don’t even have to have your phone stolen. Most people sleep almost 1/3rd of every single day. During that time, anyone could touch your finger to your phone, gain access to all of your data and accounts, put your phone back where they found it, and you would never even know that you had been compromised. Almost all people are 100% vulnerable 33% of the time. While some people may occasionally be conversational sleep talkers, it seems reasonable that far fewer people would be vulnerable, and less often, to accurately spelling out a password in their sleep without waking up and noticing (most likely after multiple frustrating attempts).

How sure of that are you? Because i think i’m going to start taking picture of the fingerprints of all the teenagers i come across from now on. I need to be prepared just in case i ever come across a government facility of the type you describe. Because there’s no way i’m passing up the chance of getting into a giant mecha.

6 Likes

Good dad, good dad!

1 Like

This was already done with the fingerprints of chancellor Angela Merkel 2014:

The fact that someone thought of Neon Genesis Evangelion means it is a possability.

1 Like

As approved by Winston Churchill.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.