More parents deem vaccines "unnecessary"

A fair quesiton, but indeed I have. No vaccine is perfect and this little bastard got through.

9 Likes

7 Likes

Well, thank you at least for trying to stop the spread.

3 Likes

Let me just re-state: you do not want that fucker.

7 Likes

Aye, it’s why I get all the vaccines available to me. What’s good for the gander is good for the goose, and I’m happy to selfishly help the herd by not getting violently ill. What can I say, I’m a giver :wink:

8 Likes

I think we found Trump’s “a lot of people” who are “saying” stuff…

7 Likes

Every time someone says that vaccines are just a way for big pharma to make money I ask them what it would cost to spend a year in an iron lung or buy a fancy new wheelchair. Would companies make more from that than a dose of vaccine? A thousand doses of vaccine? It’s sort of like how so many people concluded flossing was some sort of organized racket. A lifetime supply of dental floss probably has about the profit margin of one or two fillings. The profit argument is an important thing to consider (you know, epipens), but sometimes it’s really not what’s driving medical advice.

21 Likes

When I was growing up, there was a nice lady who attended our church who had contracted polio as a child. Her foot and ankle were affected, and she walked with a cane. I remember her saying she was lucky compared to others of her day.

I wish I had a photo of her that I could post every time anti-vax stuff popped up on my facebook.

18 Likes

I played paintball with a guy who was one of the last US cases.

He had braces and crutches but you didn’t want to underestimate him.

5 Likes

Also, basic hygiene is just a money making scheme from Big Soap.

25 Likes

I heard this argument about polio; that better sanitation is what really contributed to its decline. In fact, the opposite is true: better sanitation meant people caught polio later, when it was more likely to be harmful. Like chicken pox, polio is one of those things that is worse for you the older you get it. Polio in infants has a much lower risk of long-term complications.[quote=“knoxblox, post:28, topic:84367, full:true”]
When I was growing up, there was a nice lady who attended our church who had contracted polio as a child. Her foot and ankle were affected, and she walked with a cane. I remember her saying she was lucky compared to others of her day.

I wish I had a photo of her that I could post every time anti-vax stuff popped up on my facebook.
[/quote]

I sometimes post pictures of my open-heart-surgery scar and say “this is what happens when your mom gets rubella while pregnant with you.”

And yet, my brother has gone anti-vax.

25 Likes

See! Where would he have been without his polio?! Someone who was weak on the field of battle!

2 Likes

I knew a guy with polio. His legs were in bad shape. He could use crutches, but was too weak for leg braces. His growth may have been stunted too… can’t remember.

He was also one of the lucky ones, because at least he survived.

2 Likes

Yeah, well… on that note:

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s an issue of thinking of yourself as part of the solution. When I got my boosters at 19, it was before Petrussis came standard with the DTaP adult booster. For a lot of adults, when they got their Td boosters, it simply wasn’t part of the shot, and if you weren’t an expectant mother or someone who worked with kids, it might not come up in your appointment. I didn’t even realize I hadn’t been covered until I came down with it 5ish years ago, and after I got better, no one could tell me if I needed a new booster. Medical research is always in progress, and that makes it hard for the average person to really take charge of their own health.

7 Likes

Time to make not vaccinating your kid, short of actual medical contraindications like allergies, per se child neglect, just like not feeding your kid. It’s worse, really, because not feeding your kid just endangers him or her – not vaccinating endangers lots of others. Take the kids away, send the parents to prison. Problem solved. And if you say “But it’s my right as a parent” then justify starving your kid, or making him sleep without heat in the winter.

15 Likes

The whole issue is, we vaccinate all kids because there are a couple kids that cannot for actual medical reasons be vaccinated, and another one or two that even though we double up just don’t develop the immunity (the second is insanely rare.) These kids are protected by herd immunity. Because everyone else is immunized they are protected. So technically yes it is possible to keep clean and not vaccinate your kid, as long as you are the only parent in the school doing so. However with the crazy scientifically illiterate parents not vaccinating the number of unprotected swung past what herd immunity can protect and we got an outbreak in Disneyland. I wish I knew what the numbers are but a couple kids in a school unprotected are protected by the rest, when the number hits say 7 that’s to many and you can have an outbreak.
The one line I hear from (and it’s almost completely white women with a family income above $100,00 per year, I love relational student databases)
"Your not a parent you can’t possibly understand why I have to make this decision."
At least now we get to respond with “Get billy vaccinated or get out” Thank you California Legislature, at least we no longer have to argue with these morons.

11 Likes

I think for this particular disease, the adult vaccine is supposed to be for any adult (I also think teenagers) who may have contact with babies and toddlers. Are you a parent or daycare provider? A babysitter? A teenage sibling? A teacher of K-6? Aunt or uncle?

I asked about the vaccination and my doctor turned me down and said it wasn’t necessary since I had/have zero contact with children below age 14. It was always pushed as something to protect children, not adults.

6 Likes

Apparently a dilute solution of white vinegar with a couple of drops of essential oils added will disinfect anything (or so I read online). The idea that you need a strong oxidizing agent is a myth propagated by Big Chlorine.

17 Likes

Pertussis is a good vaccine for anyone. If you travel to areas where it’s epidemic (Western Washington for instance) it’s probably irresponsible to not get vaccinated so you can’t spread it from kid to kid.

8 Likes