When teen defies anti-vax parents and gets shots, his mom says it's a "slap in the face"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/12/when-teen-defies-anti-vax-pare.html

15 Likes

Teen thinks for himself, and gives mom the dope slap. Welcome to adulthood!

53 Likes

Its easy to say vaccinations are some kind of scheme or unneeded when your kid doesn’t suffer or even die. Even then from the cases i have seen where kids did die from a disease the parents still think they did nothing wrong. The US just needs to make the vaccinations mandatory and for make the proof of opting out be more rigorous so less scummy doctors abuse that loophole.

37 Likes

A rather well-deserved slap in the face, I’d say.

54 Likes

Smart kid.

38 Likes

He didn’t in any way slap her face or spit on her. I feel like it, though.

10 Likes

Good for this kid. Not having your kids vaccinated unless there is a medical need not to, is like a parent forbidding their children to use seat belts when they’re in the car. At least there are legal consequences for doing so.

43 Likes

The parents should be proud that their offspring is better adapted for survival than they are.

30 Likes

“You do the shake ‘n’ vax and put your immunities back. You do the shake and vax and put your immunities back. Your health is good, your ethics too, You do the shake ‘n’ vax and put your immunities back.”

2 Likes

My response to this mom is “no lady the slap in the face is that you are a fucking idiot”

19 Likes

Not one-tenth the slap in the face she needs.

10 Likes

Well at least now if he DOES spit in her face she won’t catch any virulent diseases from him.

(What, does she think he’s going to get “adult onset autism” or something? )

17 Likes

So, can unvaccinated people still get the MMR vaccine if they’re 18? Or is that inadvisable for some reason?

2 Likes

As a side note (realizing the title of this article was quoting someone, in this instance), can we retire (from the face of the planet, not picking on bb):

“slap in the face”
[person, place, thing] “slams” [person, place, thing]
“…and you won’t believe what happens next!”
“…and you won’t believe what she looks like now!”

:roll_eyes:

5 Likes

That the shot in the arm¹ that his family needed, and that I needed for my day.

I can’t wait for my kids to do something like this to me. I am sure that by the time they are teens that I will be doing something backwards or have some belief that is silly and unsound and need to be reminded that the world moves forward and I still need to think critically. I also don’t expect them to make sound decisions on a regular basis until they are 25².

Note¹: Cambridge Dictionary, Cambridge University Press, Idiom dating to at least 1904, see also here.
Note²: NPR Dr. Sandra Aamodt. See also Cognitive Neuroscientist Sarah-Jayne Blakemore

7 Likes

Yes, adults can get it. I had to prove my vaccinations as an adult, but no longer had proof of my childhood vaccines. I got the MMR and some others.

10 Likes

This shows how little she knows about vaccinations.

It is actually like a shot in the arm.

18 Likes

The majority of vaccines can be given to adults who are previously unvaccinated or incompletely vaccinated. The Red Book (our bible on this stuff) has a catch-up schedule for pretty much any circumstance.

22 Likes

What really, really grinds my crackers is that those same shitbird parents have, in an overwhelming majority of the time, themselves been benefitting from vaccinations for the past 30 or 40 years. ARGH!

kermujin jr., 21, was just telling me about a sub-sub-sub reddit where unvaxxed kids are posting and connecting with sympathetic adults who will help them cross state lines where necessary to obtain vaccinations.

Yeah. We’re there.

36 Likes

I’m dealing with an aging mother - this adulthood thing feels very temporary. Need to warn the kids.

15 Likes