HPV immunization has "wiped out cases of cervical pre-cancer" in Scotland

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/04/hpv-immunization-has-nearly.html

18 Likes

Spectacular news…

33 Likes

Exactly like the arguments over “abstinence-only” education, which does more to increase rates of teen pregnancy and abortion than almost anything. If you favor a practical solution, you must be opposed to finger-wagging, and that’s bad.

26 Likes

Whoever this “God” is she’s got a lot to answer for

15 Likes

You do realize that this will be waved away by the antivaxxers. The depth of their fact-protection field is pretty damn close to immeasurable. But it may influence those on the fence, so publicizing these kind of results is vital.

20 Likes

If you deny your children this vaccine, you’re a monster. And if they come down with Cervical Disease, later in life, they could, and SHOULD blame you, you monster.

16 Likes

The dumbest thing about the HPV ‘controversy’ in US is that kids grow up to become adults. Adults, generally, have sex. You immunize your kid for the inevitable day when he or she has sex.

29 Likes

I think that’s a bit harsh. There are reasons, albeit fear based ones, for people to delay getting the vaccine until they are adults.

1 Like

In my opinion that is a bit overly generous. There are reasons, such as being subjected to an intentional misinformation campaign, being in denial about your child ever growing up, or not wanting to take parental responsibility for making appropriate medical decisions for your child. Unfortunately, the position has become overtly political for some folks. We live in an age where respecting scientific research is a political act, and I absolutely hate that.

31 Likes

14 Likes

I wish Gillick competence was more widespread than just the UK.* Any underage British teenager who goes into a doctors surgery asking for the vaccinations they never got is highly likely to get them.

* I think there are other countries with similar concepts, but I don’t know which ones.

20 Likes

But what about the autism rates? Surely, they’re now at 100%.

8 Likes

Counterpoint:

7 Likes

If open misogyny is the best counterpoint available, you’ve lost the debate.

I have a son. He’s immunized for HPV. Why? Because the virus will never be wiped out if the burden for doing so falls solely on girls and women. I also wouldn’t be surprised if it’s eventually discovered that the HPV virus is responsible for most prostate cancers.

20 Likes

In Toronto the vaccine is administered in school in 7th grade. I believe it is possible to refuse it, but the system is set up to make getting it the default.

My son, who (like most people) does not like jabs, was especially willing to get it after he learned that a good friend’s father is currently battling serious throat cancer – caused by the virus.

So maddening how anything connected at all with sex becomes a sex thing, and hence something that a “virtuous monogamist” can imagine is unnecessary. But then, so much about the vaccine “debate” is maddening…

17 Likes

No data on prostate, but anal and oral cancers and recurrent papilomatosis are absolutely associated with HPV and are agnostic to genders.

So yes, boys absolutely need vaccination as well.

23 Likes

Glad someone’s doing it right

5 Likes

When you want something done, get Scotland on the phone.

7 Likes

Just pay them back with a pint

5 Likes

We’re supposed to be praising Scotland for being healthy, not encouraging old bad habits!

7 Likes