HPV immunization has "wiped out cases of cervical pre-cancer" in Scotland

Yeah, fuck that misogyny… girls are not property, they are people.

20 Likes

Notice how the zealots don’t consider the “failure rate of abstinence” (yes, that is a real number.) If they insist that it is “100% effective,” ask them how it worked out for the Virgin Mary?

6 Likes

I know the concept, though not the name, exists in the legal system of about a third of states. Those states range from full recognition of any minor who can engage in informed consent through some really weak protections that kick in after a teen has tried to secure parental permission. The bigger hurdle here is money and the insurance system.

5 Likes

No, they are monsters, full stop. There is a fucking CANCER VACCINE. I suppose there are “reasons” someone wouldn’t get their kids vaccinated for leukemia, or pancreatic cancer, or lymphoma, if such vaccines existed. But all those reasons boil down to “they are a monster.”

8 Likes

I think they can be a lot of other things besides “monsters”.

Misinformed. Fearful. Ill informed.

At least with the HPV vaccine, waiting later in life most likely won’t have ill effects as the likelihood of exposure is fairly limited for most people until they are older. Though I would prefer my kid does get the vaccine by 16. Though the recommended 12-13 years is the safest bet.

My ex-wife is a monster, but for other reasons. (ETA - no, not really)

3 Likes

Yes but these are just “Facts” and you’re not showing them side by side with the alternative facts!!!

edit: pulled this from a few seconds into the future of my FB feed

1 Like

Quietly, the arguments are about God punishing those who have sex before marriage.

People refusing to vaccinate their kids for “religious” reasons are just engaging in passive-aggressive honor killings. They’re explicitly saying, “I want my child to maybe die from having sex, just to scare them off of having premarital sex.” (But since, obviously, the virus doesn’t give a shit about marital status when being transmitted, I’m not sure if they even believe that or they’re really trying to prevent their kids from ever having sex.)

14 Likes

I guess my questions are : what are the “ill effects” of having it when it is recommended, and what are those who are waiting until later trying to avoid?

8 Likes

I thought religion was just cancer of the mind

1 Like

In my mind? None. In other peoples’ mind, they question the possible harm of the vaccine could cause. What that is, exactly, I can’t articulate. Other people probably have even less rational reasons.

Look, I as much as I’d like to vent sometimes and air dirty laundry, I am going to avoid it. Just making a point an educated person with a law degree and overall who one would characterize as “smart” and an independent woman who holds a difficult and demanding job can still hold irrational views where they feel they are doing the best things for their child. This makes them wrong on many levels, but no necessarily a monster.

5 Likes

Nor mine. In my mind, if it’s done, my kids have a better chance at a longer life. Waiting until later opens up possibilities like forgetting to have it and so on.

Begging your pardon here, I only meant to discuss the question and you seemed to have some insight- not looking to implicate individuals.

3 Likes

It’s cool. I’ve touched on it in the past, and that reply wasn’t just to you.

The problem with discussing the issue is I know a specific individual who holds that view and its a messy situation that I am intertwined within.

5 Likes

Fair enough. Thanks.

4 Likes

So in theory the states that recognise informed consent could have a charity drop in centre offering vaccinations, sex ed advice, QUILTBAG support, etc? There must be more than enough doctors and nurses who view their job as preventing illness (I’d assume it’s the majority)?

If I wasn’t disabled and living in the UK I would be looking into this to see if I could make it work.

6 Likes

I “waited” to have my daughter vaccinated and chose not to follow the guidelines of county that I lived in. First, my doctor wanted to give her the vaccine at age 10 because public health policy advocates for giving the vaccine as early as 9 years old. I think this makes sense from a public health perspective which is trying to ensure as many children get the vaccine before any likelihood of sexual activity. For me, I want to be honest with my children about why they were getting the shots they are getting beyond just “it is good for you.” At age 10, she was nowhere near puberty and I did not feel she was ready to have the “talk” about sex and sexual health. Now at age 13, she has been vaccinated - in what I believe is a timeframe well before she will engage in any sexual activity, but she has matured in that time and we have had multiple conversations about sex and sexual health. So to be clear, I am one of those “monsters” who did not follow the community health guidelines in my county. I did so because I believe it is helping me build a more open and trusting relationship with my daughter.

2 Likes

Does having a vaccination to prevent cancer require a discussion about sex? Do you explain pathogens when taking them for flu shots? Or do you simply explain that it prevents the flu? This is the part that throws me for a loop.

Glad to hear that.

I don’t consider you or anyone else to be a monster, by any means.

Good. I think that there are many ways to do this. I also think that sometimes we parents make a much bigger deal of things than our kids ever would.

11 Likes

I know someone in public health care. It was a few decades ago but she was sent to a school to try to deal with the issue of most of the grade 6 and 7 students pairing off and having sex during the lunch break. The margin for getting ahead of behaviour is alway a bit more than one hopes.

2 Likes

Aw man, considering she’s home schooled right now, that would be a whole 'nother Jerry Springer show…

But yes, I agree with you. My mom was a para for BD kids in middle school, so I’ve heard stories.

1 Like

Presumably they could. Offhand I don’t know of any that provide the vaccinations as their primary activity, but there are other general free clinics that handle vaccinations among other things. I just wish my state allowed for informed minor consent because our local health department provides the full run of childhood vaccines at no cost to all residents. There a usually sex ed advice and QUILTBAG support organizations in any major city.

2 Likes

I do actually talk about pathogens to my kids - one of them has a phobia about getting sick and seems to really overcome it by knowing the exact mechanisms for how sickness occurs. Also, with the flu shot they get it every year, so they no longer question how the flu works.

I doubt anyone in this thread actually considers me a monster either given that I do vaccinate my kids. The question for me in all of these debates is when does a difference of degree become a difference in kind? I “chose” to determine the vaccine schedule I felt best balanced public health policy with my personal concerns - (I did NOT do this with MMR or vaccines necessary for herd immunity - and strictly followed the doctor’s schedule). However, these threads tend to lump someone who supports alternative vaccination schedules with groups that eschew vaccination completely. I was merely trying to offer one view as to why someone wouldn’t strictly follow the guidelines (while not also being completely illogical).

The question posed was:

what are the “ill effects” of having it when it is recommended, and what are those who are waiting until later trying to avoid?

I don’t think there would have been major ill effects if we followed the recommended schedule. Also I do not think my choice was about “avoiding” something but rather embracing something at the right time.

1 Like