HPV immunization has "wiped out cases of cervical pre-cancer" in Scotland

If that were proven to be true, I wouldn’t be surprised if the debate about this vanished overnight in the US.

10 Likes

Fair enough.

You said you didn’t think she was ready to talk about sex. The point I wanted to make is that a lot of people are focusing on the nebulous connection to sex and and delaying or avoiding it all together, instead of focusing on the good that is a vaccination that can help prevent a type of cancer.

When it was time for my daughter to have it, I said: “This vaccine can protect you from cancer- isn’t that amazing?” She said: “Cool”, and had the shot.

13 Likes

Here’s the take home message for Merkins:

The Cannibal Cult of the Blood Drinkers hates for women to unauthorized sex.
They hate it so badly they would like to torture to death any woman who has sex without their permission.
They would rather see thousands of women suffer a horrifying, painful, degrading death from cancer every year than allow one girl escape genital warts from having sex Church approval.

It really is that simple

4 Likes

Yup! Because everything is all about teh menz. all. the. time.

8 Likes

I dunno about that. HPV causes genital warts and no guy wants that. I think some of the hesitancy is rooted in our Puritanical roots. Why couldn’t America have been founded by a bunch of hedonists?

5 Likes

If only we could start a rumor mill as successful as all those antiscience movements and websites. It just needs a catchy name like GLOP or OOZE, and a bunch of celebrities to endorse it.

6 Likes

I’m not sure why “this vaccine protects you from a virus that could cause cervical cancer” is a conversation that would be inappropriate to have with a 10-year-old even if you’re resistant to talk in great detail about sexual health.

12 Likes

Hell, you could even say, “This vaccine protects you from a virus that can cause a cancer.”

But wow, I would sure rather talk to my kids about sex than about cancer.

12 Likes

Yes! It’s a vaccine! That prevents cancer! It seems like a miracle to me.

It also seems like people are making the assumption that kids will become sexually active at a time and place of their own choosing, of their own free will. This is not always the case. The sooner you can vaccinate them (from cancer!), the better. Why compound horror upon horror?

13 Likes

To live in 2019 is to live in a time where there’s a cervical cancer vaccine (A CANCER VACCINE) and parents don’t want to vaccinate their children because… god says no? Or something. O brave new world…

9 Likes
2 Likes

Why? Because the Religious Right wants to punish women who have sex.

4 Likes

Seriously though why would I want to vaccinate my child against a virus they might be likely to have??? Sounds like government control to me.

did…you wait to vaccinate them for polio, measles, etc, until they could understand why they were getting the shots?

3 Likes

I kind of wonder why this vaccine isn’t readily available for adults who were never vaccinated. Do they assume everyone has been exposed already?

2 Likes

Apparently, there is a certain age barrier where the drug no longer has efficacy, around 26 years of age. At least, that’s how it was explained to me. Growing up in Kansas, abstinence education was taught in Wichita in the early 80s, and nobody told us Gardasil even existed.

It was too late for me when Iearned of the drug, but I thought I’d be good if I continued to be careful until I caught it at age 40.

4 Likes

Wow. Mercifully I haven’t heard any of that creepy shit from any of my friends with girls, but I suppose there are some years yet for it to come out.

1 Like

IIRC, this drug didn’t exist until this millennium.

@AbelardLindsay: You make very sad, but very good point. Kids can get raped. Now I feel even better about having already completed this vaccine course for my 9 year old son. Also adds subtext to why his doctor, and the nurses who administered the shots each said “we wish more parents were like you”.

7 Likes

Gardasil wasn’t a thing until the mid-2000s. I remember Alex Jones really railing against it, saying it was unproven, doesn’t work, causes horrible side effects, and yet somehow the terrible authorities are making it a requirement…and of course he was slut shaming girls for being required to have this vaccine, as an argument against the vaccine.

5 Likes

Or … if something has been done right, it’s probably been done by an emigré Scot?

They do seem to have punched above their weight in many fields for a long time.

2 Likes