More shark attacks happen during the full moon

I get that way too during full moons.

I Love You Kiss GIF by Buyout Footage

5 Likes

I think people are more likely to swim during a full moon. Sharks are there all the time, more people are there during a full moon.

10 Likes

When the moon is full, the sharks can more more easily see the lunar whalers, their true prey.

9 Likes

Obvious. Only chance they have to snag a werewolf. Way tastier than a normal human by far.

3 Likes

Oh, good, another reason to hate full moons. ER’s get weirder patients, people drive stupider, and I can’t really sleep.

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

3 Likes

Yeah. Definitely if you are having trouble sleeping on a full moon, don’t try to relax by taking a bath!!

4 Likes
6 Likes

Pardon me boy. Is that the shark that chewed your new shoes?

6 Likes

Not sure if that’s supposed to be sung to the tune of “Chattanooga Choo Choo”, but that’s how it’s playing in my head.

3 Likes

Even freshwater fish far away from the ocean are affected by the moon. Daytime fishing for everything from trout to salmon to bass is affected by it. Fish feed less aggressively during the full moon. Apparently, it makes sharks cranky.

That said, I’m surprised they could tease any statistical significance from such a small data set. Shark-related injuries are exceedingly rare.

8 Likes

There wasn’t an increase in attacks during full moons; none of their 12 data sets had an increase in attacks during full moons. The only moon phases with significantly increased attacks were 50-70% full. Only after splitting the data between more or less than half full did the “full moon” have more attacks.

As you say there is very little data because there are so few attacks, and the conclusions are pretty weak

Geaux Tigers … and Gators and working together to do science

10 Likes

Thanks for the analysis! I haven’t had a chance to look at the data, so it’s good to get a pro opinion.

3 Likes

So do you fish less near a full moon, or just expect to get fewer bites when you go?

2 Likes

I’m usually too busy to be picky about when I go. If there’s a window of opportunity, I go, and choose the venue and type of fishing based on the best bet for the conditions. I fished Monday when most of the conditions were right - temps, water flow, a bit overcast; but two of the conditions were tough - moon phase and wind. So I put up with the wind and did what I could to catch finicky fish, like use lighter line and smaller flies. Which means I lost some fish because the smaller flies don’t get a good hookset, and some fish that broke off due to the lighter line.

7 Likes

Thank you! Now I feel safe going back in the water, even during a full moon.

1 Like

Full moon and new moon cycles seem to either turn on or off the bite.

We can never figure out which does which but inevitably one or the other is happening whenever my buddies and I are planning our fishing trips.

1 Like

tumblr_lqcfwudIvh1qz77uqo1_r1_500

2 Likes

Username checks out. Has potential to become KingTrout if schedule allowed. Reassess in 6 months.

4 Likes

It reminds me of the study that said dogs align themselves roughly north-south when pooping. The margin for error was enormous and the average of the set ended up being a rough north/south line.

Possible scenario would have been that dogs just don’t like to stare into the sun while they’re pooping.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.