Humans at some California beaches are swimming with great white sharks 97% of the time, study reveals

Originally published at: Humans at some California beaches are swimming with great white sharks 97% of the time, study reveals | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

11 Likes

Yeah…

No No No GIF by SWR3

6 Likes

I live 8000 miles from California but I think my blanket “just never go in the goddamn sea” policy is still extremely sound.

10 Likes

This is really interesting! Shark attacks remain extremely rare, so this goes to show that sharks are the bears of the sea. They really don’t want anything to do with us. Leave them alone and they’ll leave us alone.

24 Likes

Better hope they don’t start talking to the Orcas:

I’ve been swimming with the leopards sharks in La Jolla. They’re harmless, but it’s still kinda freaky.

8 Likes

Your takeway from this is that all those people were lucky the sharks didn’t turn on them, not that great white sharks don’t bother people?

5 Likes

If I’m in the ocean I assume I’m swimming with sharks 100% of the time. It’s their habitat, after all. If I’m fresh water it seems less likely I’ll be swimming with sharks, but there are exceptions.

10 Likes

It’s not the bothering I’m afraid of, it’s the rending.

And no, that wasn’t my takeaway. It was a joke. People are very quick to judge around these parts.

2 Likes

see? sharks are cool!

8 Likes

i think i’ll continue to just stay out of the ocean, thanks.

2 Likes

It’s not that they wouldn’t, it’s just that they’re very, very choosy

1 Like

Sharks are very much like bears, or monkeys, or dogs. They’re curious, tend to be observant, and are usually pretty chill.

To be fair, I’ve been mostly on night dives where reef sharks are just checking you out and cruising past in close quarters. I may be a bit more cautious about intentionally diving with great whites or black/white tips.

10 Likes

See, that would absolutely scare the shit out of me; sharks AND night-time, yikes…

I will do my shark appreciation from the land, or maybe a big boat, you can have the water :grin::+1:

5 Likes

Completely unlike yourself, shall we presume?

3 Likes

Maybe that might change if Ca. beaches start warning folks like they do up in Ma. on the Cape. Notice even in that shot there is nobody in the water and it probably isn’t because the water is cold AF up there.

Seals have been protected around the Cape for sometime now and their large numbers are drawing great whites in for free all-you-can-eat seal buffets. So, they shouldn’t be interested in humans, right?

5 Likes

Whoever created that graphic gets a salute for the fin-shaped bar chart in the corner!

6 Likes

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Titus Burgess GIF by NETFLIX

The only way I’m going in is with a full “TV ocean explorer package,” including the shark-proof cage, lights, cameras, and a couple of other divers to act as bodyguards technical advisors. :diving_mask: :+1:t4: :wink:

6 Likes

Well, at least you didn’t start with saying bait or sacrifices.

2 Likes

Yeah Orcas aren’t mindless killing machines. They are intelligent, organized and hate our guts with a passion.

Whereas we are a meal of opportunity for a shark, orcas are gunning for us.

1 Like