Mosquito skin patches actually attract mosquitoes

You just haven’t met the right person yet.

5 Likes

Mosquito skin patches are great; you give them to other people in the group.

2 Likes

I dunno, I didn’t see the 68% figure… methodology was that the test subjects were treated with commercial B vitamins of various sorts, then a glass tube was rolled on their skin, and the tube was put in a mosquito habitat, and the number of mosquitoes that landed on the tube was counted.

Since there was no investigation of whether the treatment affected the ability of skin oils to stick to glass, and the point of mosquito repellents is to prevent mosquito bites and not mosquito landings, the experiment is structurally flawed to the point of uselessness.

1 Like

That’s helpful, but they never specified what they were counting, or how, or what they did with those numbers. Just “68%”.

1 Like

DEET dissolves most polymers. PVC is especially affected. Fly lines are made of PVC, predominantly. If you use even low-DEET content repellent and touch a fly line, it will melt. I had a passenger in my car spray some of the mild Skin-so-soft with DEET inside the vehicle. Sure enough, the plastic that got a straight dose melted on the surface and became tacky.

So, lemon eucalyptus for me, thanks!

1 Like

There are other people on the internet with similar complaints about DEET—so you’re not the only one.

With respect, I wonder if you meant “aka [something else]”, because those are two different things…

I wonder if you were thinking of PMD which is the insect-repelling thing in lemon eucalyptus oil

Anyway, glad you found a product that works for you :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.