This device lets me work in mosquito-free bliss

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/10/this-device-lets-me-work-in-m.html

6 Likes

Looked up mosquito repellents and webmd has some recommendations. Didn’t know if you’d tried lemon eucalyptus

Then there is oil of lemon eucalyptus, or PMD, a natural oil extracted from the leaves and twigs of the lemon-scented gum eucalyptus plant, also recommended by the CDC. PMD is the ingredient in the oil that makes it repellent to insects. NMSU researchers found that a product containing oil of lemon eucalyptus was about as effective and as long lasting as products containing DEET. “For some people, there’s a stigma to using chemicals on their skin. They prefer a more natural product,” says Rodriguez.

You could likely turn on a diffuser or a candle that had the stuff, wonder how well it’d work. I personally don’t know as i don’t deal with mosquitoes a lot.

6 Likes

I wonder if drinking chrysanthemum tea would offer any benefits in that department. I became quite fond of it while we were living in Taiwan several years ago.

8 Likes

I spray my hat, shirt, and apply with sunscreen as a diluter to my skin. Zero bites. I hate fucking mosquitos…

1 Like

I found some mosquito repellant at a local Canadian store (big upside-down red triangle) that contained icaridin (rather than DEET). It seems to work well, doesn’t smell or sting, and supposed to last 12 hours. I hate mosquitoes, too, but they seem to love me to exception of everyone else.

3 Likes

Thermacell uses allethrin which is a pyrethroid (a serious pesticide). Thermacell use is toxic to cats, fish, bees, and butterflies.

13 Likes

Be careful, it seems that allethrin is toxic.

https://doctor.ndtv.com/news/allethrin-in-mosquito-repellents-is-toxic-1702717

3 Likes

I think this is what they use in India…there are these things about the size of a nightlight that plug directly into a wall outlet, and the heat stirs up the repellent.

I had assumed that the repellent was very toxic, just because it seemed that would be the case for a consumer product. And perhaps because it really worked.

1 Like

Why is everyone capitalizing allethrin? It’s not a brand name, just a regular chemical.

2 Likes

Ask your doctor about Allethrin!

10 Likes

Spraying the screens and around the opening of the doors and windows with permetherin will help to keep bugs out when you’re not opening the door.

2 Likes

Did you say bear spray? How does it work?

You spray it. At a charging bear. Step two is hope to god you bought the right kind, that the bear isn’t too determined, and that you got enough of the spray on it from a far enough distance.

2 Likes

Maybe because they are cut and pasting it from the OP so they spell it right, and the OP has it capitalized.

Which is why I also carry a tomahawk.

But, man, I hope the bear spray works.

2 Likes

Comes in a variety of scents:
s-l300%20(1)

5 Likes

Just buy two great fans, one for inside one for outside. Mosquitoes can’t fly well…

3 Likes

From what I read you want to test one can to get a sense for the reach of the spray and how long you can use it, the linked article suggests using it at 60ft.

1 Like

We’re all trying to make healthier choices for ourselves, our families and our pets, and this has created a large opportunity for companies to cater to these health conscious customers. But you have to be careful - some companies will push service and products under the buzz-word of ‘natural,’ even though they contain neurotoxins. One very common example: pyrethrins, derived from the Chrysanthemum flower, are typically used in pest control products, however pyrethrins are considered highly toxic.

1 Like

Have considered buying one of these, but can not find satisfactory information about whether or not low concentrations of vaporized pyrethroids can be toxic to cats.

The manufacturers of these products seem to be purposefully nebulous about the risks posed by pyrethroids. I used a spray-on product from Cutter that claimed it was safe if applied according to the directions and left to dry completely. Then my cat ate a bit of grass that was exposed to overspray, and started showing signs of mild pyrethroid poisoning. The risk was completely unmentioned in the product literature.

It’s very frustrating. I know these products work quite well — and can be a godsend for the mosquito-afflicted —but the obtuse industry “research” and guidelines are duplicitous.

2 Likes