Most disappointing video games ever

It can be fixed! Fixing E.T. for the Atari 2600

So, why do people hate E.T.? When it was released, it was well ahead of its time. It pioneered a lot of concepts that we take for granted in games today, but were unheard of in 1982

Also that catfight video game you mentioned is insane… ly terrible.

venom stiiiing! venom drilllllll!

3 Likes

Yeah the difference between Origins and Arkham City was so stark, given they were set on practically the same geography. I remember constantly running into invisible walls and non-grapple buildings and thinking fuck, this dead-end wasn’t here last game.

Oh, I played the fixed version, thought it was great. Thirty years late though. And the original didn’t really come with instructions on what you were doing the way the fixed version did.

Again, the original promised a ton but delivered nothing but “why am I in this hole?”

Well, I have to disagree solely because of Pitfall! That was the best use my 2600 ever got. I always coveted Yars’ Revenge entirely because of the box art but never got to play it. Should I track it down, I wonder?

As far as Most Disappointing Games Ever, mine are all quite recent: Halo 4 and Destiny. Holy shit were my expectations high (though not unreasonably so, honest!), and goddamn but did 343 and Bungie let me down hard.

That said, graphically, Destiny was about the best-looking game my Xbox 360 ever experienced. It just became an utterly infuriating grind and a profoundly wasted opportunity.

Halo 4 was just… lame. The first and so far only bad Halo game, at least as far as the campaign goes.

1 Like

Thanks for this tidbit that reminded me. I am going to go and reinstall the TrackMania Sunrise demo now. :smile:

every movie based videogame, since the creation of the first movie based videogame is absolute vile crap.

1 Like

I partially agree with you-- Pitfall 2 was excellent, and I played that to death, but the original Pitfall was really not much different than Freeway, their take on Frogger-- the same series of screens over and over, little variation, mind-numbingly repetitive.

Yars’ Revenge was really just OK, nothing spectacular, but I do remember enjoying it and playing it quite a bit.

Wow. That’s special. My favorites were the fart sound in the developer logos, and the voice acting and production values. I’m fairly sure that’s Cartman impersonating Jeremy Clarkson. Power! Power!

Came to complain about this. Skyrim is pretty good, and the fact they encourage people to mod it should not result in its inclusion in the list based on the fact some people may use that customizability to make crap.

Just my opinion, though.

I’m your huckleberry.

Guys, I’m really disappointed in all of you. Especially you, @beschizza, for framing this in such a ridiculous way*.
No, these are not the “most disappointing video games ever”. The list is a fucking joke, aimed at the current discussion about the “downgrade” of The Witcher 3’s graphics.
You would know that if, you know, YOU ACTUALLY READ THE FUCKING THING.
Sigh.

(*:Unless it was deliberate trolling, I guess.)

Fella could have himself a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

1 Like

Lol. I actually have been a member of the Q23 forums for over a decade and I did not even read the source article over there. Sigh. You’re right!

I did enjoy the referenced Conan “review” of Witcher 3 though.

Pretty much “get to the sex bits”, climaxing in, well… you’ll have to watch it yourself.

1 Like

I read the article and still didn’t see any satire. The problem was that the article just wasn’t very funny.

1 Like

Not quite…

11 Likes

Look at the size of that thing!

3 Likes

THE. BEST.

Seriously, right? So many quarters.

I will chime in late and vote for Total Annihilation which was pretty good up until you get artillery and metal planets, boring build a bunch of long range cannons quickly and swarm with mop up units. The game up to that point was quite fun for and varied for an RTS but the endgame just was a letdown in challenge/play for me.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.