Mother tries to shame daughter for using robot to do her homework, but public comes to the rescue

Colouring!!! What a waste of time for my daughter’s homework for too many years in school. I suggested just putting in a letter in each space to be coloured and adding a legend for the teacher (in case they can’t understand R for red and B for Blue on their own)!

1 Like

Do you score points for dobbing your kid in as a cheat, or do you lose points for raising a cheat?

6 Likes

Yep. Here’s a hanzi practice video (sort of) that also happens to show why the utter neatness and uniformity of the robot’s handwriting might have caused suspicion:

7 Likes

I read that book too, at least 30 years ago. I am probably wrong or confusing this with another book, but the only part I seem to remember was that there was a little brother who made high-pitched chirping tones that broke glass or confused the computer or just annoyed the sister. He may have been an alien. I remember feeling morally conflicted about the whole matter of letting a computer do your homework for you, so it probably still influences in some way how I grade my students programming homework.

2 Likes

If you were an adult with an adult job, and you went to your boss and told him you figured how to get a robot to do your job and do it four times faster, he would be thrilled and you’d probably get a bonus and be made a manager. Of course you’d have to tell all of your former coworkers, and perhaps friends, that they were losing their jobs to robots. But hey, life is full of tradeoffs.

1 Like

Hmn, however, some learning benefits from repetition.

If it were Chinese writing for example, then repeating characters in the right order and with the right kinds of strokes, and neatly of course, actually is important for proper writing form (because characters are varied and complex); and -instead- submitting the pages copied by a machine would be of no benefit for the student.

5 Likes

You have to write out “I must not raise a cheat” 100 times by hand.

1 Like

But cheating is a thing there. And even more virtuous is to succeed at it.

1 Like

Looks like they bought this:

I might pick one up for my nephew in India who has to do absurd amounts of wrote copying for his terrible school system.

2 Likes

https://www.monticello.org/site/house-and-gardens/polygraph

1 Like

I had a friend who did exactly that when he was in the military. He was not given a bonus or made a manager; he was reassigned to the motor pool.

2 Likes

Well if it’s wrote copying it must be a terrible school system.

2 Likes

I sometimes think there should be a project collecting people’s recollections of books they read as kids and creating fresh books based on those memories.

There would be some seriously weird stuff.

5 Likes

When you force a human to do a machine’s job, you insult the dignity of all humankind.

1 Like

This clearly shows the influence of culture on human adaptability, because my American mind is screaming and screaming just watching this.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.