Mother tries to shame daughter for using robot to do her homework, but public comes to the rescue

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/19/mother-tries-to-shame-daughter.html

6 Likes

Long ago, I asked my high school math teacher if I could just program the computer to do my homework instead of me doing it. Her reply: Yes, if you can program the computer to do your homework, you can turn in the program and the answers for full credit. I loved her!

20 Likes

In the words about Arcadia Darrell: But just the same she had to get it right, so she sat up straight in her chair, placed her first draft before her in businesslike fashion, and began again, crisply and clearly; her abdomen flat, her chest lifted, and her breathing carefully controlled. She intoned, with dramatic fervor:“The Future of Seldon’s Plan.”
Isasc Asimov, Second Foundation (1953)

2 Likes

this guy approves of her methods…

7 Likes

When my daughters get robotic work to do at home, I’m all for giving it to a robot so that they can do what humans do best: think.

Aren’t there AI now that can write a decent essay at a high school level?

1 Like

If a robot can do your homework your homework is too robotic.

I’m guessing that homework was intended to improve penmanship, so the robot would be 100% cheating.

Still, it’s a bad homework assignment because it’s pure tedium. A creative element, like writing your own short story that includes a set of keywords, would have made the assignment far more engaging and stimulating. You get to practice both penmanship and language arts at the same time that way.

11 Likes

and went straight to social media to complain.

That’s just a weird reaction to have… I don’t get it. “My kid behaved badly, give me fake internet points so I’ll feel better” ?!

4 Likes

We had copying machines, and everyone used them. They were called printers.

1 Like

I wish it were a weird reaction to have. It seems like a whole lot of people turn to the Internet to validate their lives these days.

I don’t know why - the Internet is great at finding people who will hurl abuse and invective at you, and who will explain to you why you’re wrong, but it’s not so good to find people who will blindly tell you you’re great.

5 Likes

I remember reading a volume of The Hardy Boys (of all things) that had a deal exactly like this struck with the protagonists. I don’t recall which story in particular it was though.

1 Like

More robots so we can lounge about, wear robes, and drink fancy drinks.

8 Likes

You’re right! And, wow, you’re great!

7 Likes

Personally, I think you are doing a great job, @jer_j_morris. Keep on like this, and I can see you really going places.

6 Likes

Nothing proves that you fully understand a concept like having to explain it to a computer. A computer is basically your own personal idiot savant, they’ll do exactly what you tell them without stopping, even the tiny little bit you explained wrong and is obviously bogus.

9 Likes

This IS China - the home of the state-calculated social score.

2 Likes

I remember something of the same sort in “Encyclopedia Brown”

1 Like

It’s helpful to remember that Chinese characters are made up of many different ideograms and phonograms, in nearly endless combination, and that there are tons of homophones that people mess up all the time. Students have to do this type of practice until a much later age than with other written languages.

I like the story though! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh, MAN. This was the premise of Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine. I loved the series, can’t believe it’s out of print, it was so prescient and spot-on.

6 Likes

Honestly… it may have been this book and not The Hardy Boys that I’m remembering.

2 Likes

The program too, eh? Did she also hand you a Work for Hire contract on behalf of the school district?

1 Like