Motodrom: A short film about the world of carnival sideshow hellriders

Originally published at: Motodrom: A short film about the world of carnival sideshow hellriders | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Had a hard time telling whether it was from the mid-60s or late-60s. (It’s from 2005.)

4 Likes

there was a feature-length, color movie about this type of attraction, from the UK, mid-80s. and trying to find it just now, there was also one from '51 called Wall of Death.
does anyone remember the 80s one?

1 Like

We screened this one at the Portland Motorcycle Film Festival a few years back—

3 Likes

In the late '90s I went to one of the big top circus attractions in one of those multi-purpose arenas. They had a metal sphere where they put a motorcyclist in it and he would do loop-the-loops up the wall and then did a full 360 across the ceiling!

The blow off was three motorcyclists doing 360’s across the “floor”, “walls” and “ceiling” of the sphere simultaneously. It blew my mind and sticks with me to this day.

3 Likes

Maybe this one from Ireland?

I don’t remember much, it was from back when there would be a movie from Ireland maybe every other year.

4 Likes

There was an incredible hour long documentary about someone who does this in Bavaria. Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be available for viewing at this time.

7 Likes

Danger and motorcycles aside, that was wonderfully shot. So beautiful.

4 Likes
1 Like

Richard has said the song, among other things, is about the fear, and buzz, of getting on stage and performing.

2 Likes

Very impressive

My underpants do the same thing in my front loader

Have more respect for my underpants now

1 Like

Yikes, no helmet? Oh, right: Germany. Carry on.

1 Like

Motodrom | A Short Film by Jörg Wagner - YouTube for those who’d like to watch it at an acceptable resolution.

1 Like

I remember it as charming and lighthearted.

I was talking about it just the other day, because a whole squadron of those early '80s Honda XL250s used by Bord na Móna (as seen in the movie) were sold off at auction last week.

And I discovered that a good quality version of the movie is currently available on YouTube…

3 Likes

This looks like it could have been footage left out of Wings of Desire

2 Likes

yes! that was it, thanks.

I saw this act as a kid at the Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey when they came through. not sure if it was three motorcycles or just two but there was a woman in showgirl attire who stood in the center while they looped 360s around her. it was indeed mind-blowing. wonder if it was your same guys or if this act is a canonical carnie attraction that lots of groups do? getting one of those portable globes built to safe spec must be a huge investment, though.

one thing I remember vividly was that the act clashed strongly with the visual polish and showmanship of the rest of the circus. they didn’t look like circus performers, they looked like bikers. like they were probably hung-over and were just doing it perfunctorily to make enough money for the next whiskey binge, without any flair or acknowledgement of the audience at all. in a way, it really added to the sense of danger.

1 Like

globe of death

same idea, more dimensions

but my fave pix is the lion on sidecar that @allenk posted.

1 Like

I do not like this Air.TV, Sam I am. I am surprised that BB, of all places, has diverted ad dollars away from content owners.

We saw this at the circus. The audience, including me, were scared to death for the riders. Seven bikes at once and there is a record of nine.

2 Likes