Motorcycle overpowers playground merry-go-round to disastrous effect

Idiots gonna idiot.

4 Likes

The Zipper and the Scrambler are such classics.

3 Likes

Kind of dirty?

3 Likes

FYI, the voice you here at the start says “And now full throttle” (Lit. “En nou vol gas.”) in Dutch (Hollands).

1 Like

I had this same occurrence a couple of years ago at the state fair, on a rather tame but tall and rickety looking ferris wheel. It was around 15 years since I last went to a place with rides, and I had a wonderful time.

What a rude awakening! It’s like a genetic switch popped and said I’M OLD NOW

1 Like

Oh, hit that rare one-pin width slot on the “Wheel O’ Bad Ideas”.

be prepared to go… silly

Was? Dude, no.

2 Likes

Before starting the video, I was thinking, “Oh, I saw this video years ago.” Then I realized it was a completely different video with a completely different set of idiots. But more or less the same outcome, of course.

Obviously he still is, but a different kind of biker. Which is where we get the expression, of course:

7 Likes

Look like something Tim “The Toolman” Taylor would do.

That sub pretty consistently has: people jumping off roofs (subcategory “into a pool”); fireworks (subcategory “shot from the but”); setting oneself on fire (subcategory “part of a drinking ritual”); robbery (subcategory “victim has a gun”). Constantly.

1 Like

Still remember myself at 17, trying to talk my thrill-seeking best friend out of getting on a ride at a carnival. It was the first time we’d seen a roller coaster among the usual death-trap rides. I kept reminding her that it was disassembled and moved every couple of weeks, which made it a totally stable and safe choice compared to the amusement parks at home*… :roll_eyes:

*We were in Paris, and I might’ve mentioned differences in safety standards, too. :grimacing:

3 Likes

I suppose another way to look at it is that since it is disassembled and reassembled every few weeks, you know that every bolt has been checked. That might make it more safe than a fixed-site wooden coaster which relies on periodic visual inspections (which don’t check tightness).

5 Likes

Basically what @NukeML said, plus mobile amusement rides are designed to be disassembled, moved, assembled, repeat… The design is checked and if neccessary tested before being approved. This approval has to be renewed periodically. The design includes detailed manuals and checklists which are part of the approval process.
Not following the approved manual is an administrative offence.

I occasionally (when the colleague who usually does this isn’t available) sign off on checks on carnival rides and such1).
Not assembled as prescribed in the manual, including the proper parts and tools? Sorry, try again.

1) Believe it or not, the term is Fliegende Bauten, which just about covers everything between circus tents and roller coasters, including inflatable bouncy castles2) and whatnot.

2) That’s hyppylinna (or pomppulinna) in Finland and has to be one of the best words ever.

9 Likes

My grandparents’ midway had both. I’ve set up both (though in the case of the Scambler it was one of the rare trailer-mounted ones, not the ground-mount model you posted).

Yes, I spent well over a decade as a carney. Now you know. :wink:

12 Likes

One of my favorite roller coasters evar was the Zippin Pippin back when it was in Memphis, and despite being completely pedestrian, not that tall, no loops, the drops not that bad, etc. it was utterly terrifying because it was built of wood and felt and sounded rickety like you were on the roller coaster in a Scooby Doo abandoned amusement park. That said, the sign said the wood was completely replaced every 7 years so I figured it was safe enough.

2 Likes

True, but accidents still happen:

http://www.france24.com/france24Public/fr/nouvelles/france/20070805-accident-mortel-fete-foraine-loges-manege-forain.html

According to one article, the first law to specifically address this in France was adopted in 2008, after several accidents occurred in 2007. My visit to the carnival was many years earlier.

Back in the 90s I was at a conference and ended up seated at dinner with a random group of strangers that included a Disney Imagineer. We were all making small talk and a woman at the table said to him “All those rides make me nervous - 't’s amazing that people don’t get hurt”. He smiled and replied “Oh, people die on rides all the time! You just never hear about it”.

Good times.

4 Likes

and this has to be how you garnered the real skill to manage the circus that is bb BBS!
brilliant!

6 Likes

There’s an even better one from a decade ago with a GXSR if you search YouTube.