This bike-powered backyard rollercoaster rules

Originally published at: This bike-powered backyard rollercoaster rules | Boing Boing

2 Likes

> to beg you to peddle the ride

What? To sell it?

(Hint: the word is PEDAL!)

I’d @popkin but that doesn’t work, does it. Sigh.

@orenwolf - trivial, I know, but might you edit it before another few poor souls assume peddle is the same as pedal, having seen it in such an authoritative source? :wink:

But it IS a wonderful thing. Individually made, I assume, but someone should start selling these in kit form.

4 Likes

I’d like a power take-off for my bike.

2 Likes

already fixed.

i don’t know if i’d sell the ride, but some tickets maybe.

i wonder what the backstory is there. super impressive

1 Like

Ran into almost the same thing at Sommerland Sjaelland in Denmark during the summer. It appears to be the exact same model.

6 Likes

The track sections in the original video looked too good to be a person’s one-off. I am curious about the tire-bumper on the back of the cars. Are there more elaborate tracks with multiple cars where a bumper would be needed?

2 Likes

The tire on the back is probably supposed to lend the appearance of a Jeep, or maybe be a spare for part of the cycle assembly. Could also be contributing weight for physics. Otherwise - just guessing - the whole thing looks like an Alibaba-style kit that can be bought online, possibly with modular cars (thus the plane car at the Denmark park).

1 Like

As impressive as some of the backyard rollercoasters are, I don’t think I’d want one for myself. Due to inherent limitations of physics rollercoasters are one type of ride that just doesn’t scale down very well. A small rollercoaster will always mean a short ride time, unlike, for example, a miniature steam train or merry-go-round. This one lasts maybe
8 seconds, so I think my kids and I would get bored of it pretty quickly. But I’m still glad that somebody is out there building these things, because the YouTube videos are always fun.

2 Likes

The builder apparently builds rides as an engineer, so has the fabrication facilities most of us don’t.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.