Motorcyclist applies too much throttle, gets physics lesson

either that or he’s just a dumb ass

8 Likes

Or a numb ass (after the nerve damage).

6 Likes

I used to own a V65 Magna back when I was going to live forever. It was in the Guinness Book as the worlds fastest production motorcycle for 3 years with a top speed of 173 mph.

It was very easy to go 0 - 60 in less than 5 seconds without pulling the front end off the ground. It’s recorded 0 - 60 in less than 4 seconds. 120+ mph once and my life flashed before my eyes. Once had my mom on the back, she said doesn’t this thing go faster, but I couldn’t bring myself to go over 90.

Also very easy to take off like a rocket on the freeway at 60mph. You can find the numbers online but I can vouch for things like 40 - 70mph in 2 - 3 seconds. That’s downshifting and jumping on the throttle. Front tire never off the ground.

It’s all about shifting and accelerating and experience.

I no longer have the courage to ride anything like that, I sold it in 2008.

5 Likes

Thanks to watching a lot of Mentour Pilot’s air accident videos, I understand that reference. :+1:

5 Likes

I wonder if his shoes ever returned to earth? Y’know, escape velocity and orbital mechanics and such…

2 Likes

This is why I call them “donorcycles” and maintain that everyone who owns one should have to opt out of being an organ donor by default.

3 Likes

I had a V65 Magna for a few years. Magnificent bike; styling of a cruiser with the heart of a racer.

I was showing it off to my coworkers at the edge of the company parking lot and accidently whacked the throttle open a bit too much. That beast tried to get away. Once the front wheel left the ground I had no steering, of course, so I reined it in on the grass.

I was much more careful after that.

4 Likes

Should not be allowed— simply make viable organ harvesting after a deadly Motorcycle crash obligatory.

I wear all the gear I can.

7 Likes

Why is it that the dipshits most eager to race seem to have absolutely no idea how to control their vehicles? Ah, I may have accidentally answered my own question…

5 Likes

Shake it off. Shake it off.

2 Likes

Thank you for protecting your donor organs. :+1: They need to be in good condition to be useful to the next owner.

Off-topic: given how American medicine is all about the bottom line; do they have to pay the donor’s estate for harvested organs?

Edited for added “y” to convert the definite article to an epicene third-person pronoun.

1 Like

Quite a few years ago I was out for an evening ride with my wife on that Magna I talked about above.

We were on a freeway service drive in Detroit and a guy on a crotch rocket pulls up next to me in my lane, he had a full purple leather suit with matching helmet.

He did the whole revving the engine lets race thing, my wife knew what was next and she grabbed on tight. I was at a light about a half mile up with my feet on the ground before he caught up. Total control all wheels on the ground.

Dude, go practice some more before challenging people you think are an easy mark.

Point is it sucks that it’s so easy to buy such powerful machines with zero experience. It took me years to learn how to ride safe and defensive.

We have the same problem on the lake. At least once a year two very large wave runners will collide, many times ending up in a death. We’ve seen people run full throttle into a steel seawall. It ain’t pretty.

I miss my bike but not enough to get back out there, it’s too tempting to play.

5 Likes

My intro riding instructor was in his 60s and had been riding since he was a kid. He hammered on the point: “An expert rider uses expert judgement to avoid using expert skill.”

8 Likes

I recently picked up my 4rth or 5th bike in 30 years of riding since I was 18 - an FJR1300. It cruises comfortably at 120 mph (I can not confirm crossing most of Northern Nevada at that speed on a similar bike)… and only has a top speed of 153 (I think), with the benefit of 145 crank hp and a full fairing. It will lift the front a little, but has electronics that tame the effect. Most large, powerful modern bikes have something similar… which people like the fella in this video proceed to disable via ECU reflash or other “tuning” and “mods”. It makes a great commuting bike - gets 45 mpg at 80 mph.

The V65 Magna’s record was for its “design speed” - which means it was GEARED for that speed, not that it had the power to do so. With 116 crank HP and the aerodynamics of a bundle of pipe, the reported test speed of 140mph is still quite impressive. The VFR it’s engine came from managed higher speeds with the help of a fairing and a more high revving tune, but it was geared lower to actually allow it to accelerate all the way up to what the gearing allowed. The Magana got the tall gearing to keep the rpm low for highway cruising, not because it was the faster bike.

3 Likes

Seems like there might be a positive feedback loop because of the hand throttle opening up when driver gets thrown backward in their seat.

3 Likes

I can’t tell you the yearning I have to see this clip but it is showing up broken. Getting nauseous from the denial.

Skipped the positive control check on his preflight, forgot to remove the gust locks.

1 Like

oh thank god it’s back

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.