Motorcyclist lucky

The adrenaline fueled jog away from the crash scene… dude probably could have done that with broken legs and still had the energy left to lift a car.

7 Likes

That’s not what Eddy Grant thinks.

No place to hang out our washing
And I can’t blame all on the sun, oh no

2 Likes

The car horn has been so consistently used to convey the meaning “go fuck yourself”, that no other interpretation is possible.

5 Likes

The sun was totally a factor. Even if we can’t see the Camaro’s perspective, direct sunlight on traffic lights could easily cause glare and confuse the driver. Also, if you Google Camaro and visibility, you’ll see they are notoriously bad (usually noted for its rear view, blindspots, and pillars, but the front windshield has a narrow field of view as well.) I don’t believe all lights were green at any point in time, but I also noticed the same observation as @cepheus42. I think @DukeTrout gets it right.

1 Like

Yeah, definitely. Although in this case, it looks like the offending vehicle comes in about three seconds after the light goes green (which may also have been a second or two after their light had gone red - some intersections do this). So it seems like it was outside the usual, reasonable window of caution.

3 Likes

If I don’t have a completely unobstructed view to my left, I give it a second when it goes green. There are some idiots out there.

2 Likes

tumblr_m8ni1yOS9H1qh95r3

4 Likes

And that’s why I always look left and right before taking off into an intersection on a motorcycle.

1 Like

Confused question: how come this SUV just falls over like this? Ok, impact, momentum. But then, mass, centre of gravity, and even friggin’ suspension and ductile deformation! What the hell?

I mean, they are supposed to be derived from real cross-terrain cars, aren’t they? I’ve driven Landrovers, Hiluxes (wtf is the plural of Hilux? That’s worse than Narcissus!), and occasionally the weird Mercedes G-class. If any of these would just flip like this in the field, I would probably be dead now. Or maybe just very, very deep in the shit. At the very least financially. And I even got in crash with some of those. And had an elephant leaning on me.

Not as bad tempered as this one.

But still.
Just FTR, you don’t want to meet them on your motorbike.

6 Likes

Hislux, or possibly Hiluxi.

2 Likes

I think I’d prefer her lux.
Just BTW, the second gen of those: best all-terrain I ever drove. With two fuel tanks, totally 180l, I think. You could basically repair every bit of the thing everywhere you went.

I watched 4 times waiting to see where the piano was. Took me far too long to to squint at the title and read “Plano”.

6 Likes

fucking SUV’s roll over like a trained dog every time

7 Likes

My sister worked at the Eye Bank in college, they call them Donorcycles for a reason, unfortunately. I ride a scooter, which is even worse, it’s 100% defensive riding, you can’t gun it and jump out of the way on a scooter.

2 Likes

Maybe it got hit above its centre of mass? In an elastic collision, it would bounce partly off the impacting vehicle and retain some angular momentum.

2 Likes

The standard where I live is four seconds of intergreen. Thats the all red time. I previously worked with the people who coded the traffic signal controllers.

4 Likes

With standard traffic signal controllers that would be extremely unlikely to happen. They have about three layers of protection against that happening. The relays (mechanical or electronic) are wired so that red for one direction disables green for the other direction. They have a conflict detector logic array, as well as conflict detection in software.

5 Likes

Originally, but once they became popular and the aesthetic caught on, they started making SUV-style cars based on normal road cars (take a wagon or a hatchback, scale it 1.5x along the height dimension, watch sales skyrocket…)

Perhaps Hiluxen?

4 Likes

Hiluxi?

I have a 94 Townace van which I would like to replace but Toyota just isn’t the car maker they used to be. They are being undercut by Mercedes in some market categories now.

That’s just a 6/10 on the Russian Dashcam Insanity scale.

1 Like