Motorcyclist lucky

Yep. I always feel bad running a stale yellow, especially if it turns red when I’m halfway through.

But I’m always shocked at the fact that often it’s 1-3 cars behind me also running it.

6 Likes

When he stands he turns to his right, facing the lights that would have been directing the car that hit them. They’re all green!

Nope. The lights he runs toward after the wreck are the same ones that turned green just before the wreck.

Before:

After:

Note the large metal power pole and the blue sign to the right of the pole, visible in both shots. Also, in the after shot you can read the street sign, which says “McDermott” and the name of the street he’s on is “Custer,” visible about 10 seconds into the video:

Here’s the intersection in Google Streetview: Google Maps

6 Likes

A friend of mine who’s very into motorcycles has tried to convince me they’re safer than cars.

While I can see the benefits of riding a motorcycle, the safety of the motorcyclist, even with full protective gear, is just not one of them.

Now, maybe I’m a wimp for driving a car with side-impact airbags, but I’m live, fully bipedal wimp. Even with his riding jeans and shoes this guy would not be walking away from getting t-boned like that car did.

1 Like

The motorcycle is safer because the operator will take more care driving it in the knowledge that they will experience more damage in a collision.

There are few consequences for the driver of the car which came from the left, because of insurance, airbags, etc, so they will do more damage overall.

It depends on your perspective. Overall, the motorbike is safer for all concerned.

2 Likes

As I usually put it: riding a motorcycle is not particularly dangerous. Learning to ride a motorcycle is incredibly fucking dangerous, and usually takes about two years. Most bad bike accidents happen in the first few years.

4 Likes

I doubt if seconds would measure a stopping distance but may have concluded a lesser impact :slight_smile: :wink:

Have a look at the ‘moose test’ video- recent Hiluxes will almost leave the ground if they’re swerved at moderate speed:

4 Likes

You have never been to Italy, right?

Now that sounds like something off the shelves of your local IKEA.

1 Like

everyone hates on roundabouts but it’s hard to T-Bone someone at a roundabout.

4 Likes

Happened to me on my bicycle. Most roundabouts have four T intersections.

No They Don’t, now that’s acute and all, but don’t be obtuse.

1 Like

That’s the problem, right there.
Don’t even try to repair them yourselve.

So the lights going the other way are definitely red. I saw that silver left most vehicle hit their brakes quick, yup,

Also I’d add the dude seems to grab the exhaust of the Toyota SUV, he is lucky he had on riding gloves…he’d have burned his hands pretty good if not.

1 Like

My godmother is a nurse. She calls motorcyclists mobile organ storage.

1 Like

Yes, but tell me more about how auto-drive cars will kill us all!

/s

Don’t make fun of what will probably be the most valuable contribution to society at large I will ever make.

It seems to vary quite a bit. But yeah, it could have been red for seven seconds. The driver of the offending vehicle seems to have just seen a lack of cross-traffic and assumed they were free to go, unaware that they’d had a red light for a while.

My guess is they were all texting.

1 Like

This is why we need two horns… light press for the polite horn, heavy press & hold for the mad-as-hell horn.

This seems to be a North American thing*… in much of the rest of the world, the horn is used a lot more than “go fuck yourself”. In India, for instance, you’re supposed to honk before passing; I was told it’s a law. Many trucks have “Use horn when passing” sign on the rear bumper.

* Canada and USA at least. I suspect Mexico is more like the rest of the world.

1 Like