Motorola Droid silently, insecurely sends personal data to mothership

Ben Lincoln discovered that his Motorola Droid X2 was silently sending an enormous amount of private, sensitive information to Motorola, without permission – much of it without any encryption. He carefully documented the scope of the leaks, and gave the steps necessary to repeat his work. It’s a terrible, and potentially criminal, design decision by… READ THE REST

1 Like

Isn’t Motorola owned by Google now? In which case they are bound by their solemn oath to NSA to lie about this when asked. The information age is a hall of mirrors and entry is free. Please watch your step. Right this way . . .

This is horrible but thank God I’m not a drug dealer.

Meanwhile, the corporations, criminals and the NSA (all interchangeable, IMO) have a backdoor to through Android apps…

It’s harder(which is unfortunate; because it seems to be more important) to do on a cellphone; but it can be… interesting… just to fire up wireshark on your NIC and watch the chatter over the wire of an ‘idle’ machine.

This case is far more egregious than most(too bad the CFAA applies to researchers we don’t like; but not to corporations…); but phoning home is a very, very, popular behavior.

Not that long ago when corporations like Sony attempted to install rootkits all kinds of PR nightmares ensued. I suspect people aren’t going to be as upset about this as they should be. I own a Motorola Photon 4g - it’s been nothing but a disappointment, esp. since they promised to roll out the 4.0 upgrade and never did, leaving me stuck at 2.6. The audio is choppy and glitchy and the 4g never, ever works. Now I’m reading that other Photons have this backdoor installed. If a class action lawsuit is filed I want to be first in line.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.