MoveOn tells Sanders to move on

Show me a figure. The link I posted said that the number of uncounted ballots is unknown.

I agree though the significant difference is that her base is corporate. Sanders’ base is pure soylent green live people.

There’s no basis to believe Sen. Sanders is that cynical. He limited his campaign to representing working voters. That’s a significant difference even if the policies appear cosmetically similar. His power comes from turning out diverse crowds of working voters.

No one said we stole their resources.

no one has argued otherwise.

When you say stuff like “simply isn’t justifiable”, you do realize that isn’t making an argument, right? That it’s just naked assertion?

Our entire economy is predicated on the difference between the value of using a barrel of oil and the cost of profitably extracting a barrel of oil (the latter is called the “price” of oil). Keeping oil cheap is easily the most important geopolitical calculation because oil is needed to feed, clothe, house, and transport essentially everyone in the US, and perhaps more importantly it is needed for the US military to be able to project power.

No one has argued that there aren’t other causes. Heck, calling it a resource war doesn’t even necessarily imply resources were the primary cause. But I’m quite prepared to defend that claim anyway.

But the goalposts have moved a long way at this point. A few minutes ago, you couldn’t believe grownups would believe that governments would go to war over resources. (Think about that for a second, it’s pretty hilarious.) Now you’re arguing that they don’t only go to war over resources. You’ve conceded the only relevant part of the argument.

Thanks! That makes Clinton look a little better at least. I mean, I still don’t believe she’s against TPP for any reasons besides political expediency but at least it’s not so glaring.

“Net exporter of fossil fuels” is meaningless, and in this context essentially only useful as propaganda; here is a non-exhaustive list of reasons why that is the case:
-“net fossil fuels” is a dodge – the US still has to import fossil fuels because it overproduces coal and underproduces oil relative to its own use (for example)
-The US is only a net exporter due to a glut caused by QE making interest payments so low that even extremely expensive shale oil would be profitable
-The shale oil plays did not actually become profitable due to the glut…the price of fossil fuels dropped, and now many of the companies that were fracking to produce the glut are missing payments on their loans
-The decline rates on these fracked shale wells are very steep

I’m being completely sincere here – can you please provide citations? I really do want to understand your side of the argument, but so far this is the only place I’ve seen you offer a substantial reason to believe oil was not the primary motivator.

Again, this concedes everything relevant to the case for Sanders against Clinton, and still isn’t true – there’s a great case to be made that oil was the prime motivation!

3 Likes

By that logic we definitely deserved to be invaded after we invaded Iraq by every single measure.

Hardly, you weren’t gassing your own citizens, brutally repressing them, invading other countries simply to take control of them and absorb them territorially. The initial invasion was largely supported by the majority of the populace, though they were still pissed off at the US for failing to finish the job the first time around, leading to increased repression of them in the meantime.

I was in favor of the Iraq war at the time, and I didn’t buy into the WMD bullshit, though wouldn’t have been had I known what I know now re the ridiculously incompetent reconstruction process. It may be that such a stabilization process is just impossible in principle (given the complex demographics at play if nothing else), which is why nobody is in any rush to repeat the experiment (which has of course given rise to untold suffering in Syria as a consequence - there are no good solutions any more it seems).

No, we just made Iraq WORSE for their citizens and resulted in far more deaths than Saddam was capable of.

Besides, if ethics was our problem then Saddam’s about 27th down that list, and there were plenty of places that people weren’t having huge protests against our invading.

And if civilians are our concern then we could go on for hours about the people we aren’t helping while wasting resources destabilizing regions.

I’m going to call this ‘wrong cubed’.

Or maybe we had no business even thinking we could pull it off, much less meddling somewhere where we were guaranteed to create some enemies and chaos. It’s not like nobody was saying that there were going to be problems.

A lot of people weren’t surprised by the fallout, it’s just that they were ignored by people who really wanted to invade another country after 9/11 because they were still butthurt and needed to lash out while others were busy exploiting their emotions for personal or ideological gain.

2 Likes

The thing is there are at least two ways to be liberal (even accepting the uniquely American meaning as being “leftist”) – one is to be socially liberal, and yes, she is reasonably socially liberal for what it matters. But economically?

2 Likes

No, we just made Iraq WORSE for their citizens and resulted in far more deaths than Saddam was capable of.

The US doesn’t bear the full responsibility for this, the great majority of deaths in Iraq have been from sectarian conflict. Not that that matters much to the dead and their families, but it’s worth keeping in mind.

And if civilians are our concern then we could go on for hours about the people we aren’t helping while wasting resources destabilizing regions.

Sure.

I’m going to call this ‘wrong cubed’.

That’s perfectly reasonable, but beside the point really.

I’m not trying to retroactively justify their position, just trying to explain what I think the primary justification and reasoning back then was, not whether that justification was valid.

Or maybe we had no business even thinking we could pull it off, much less meddling somewhere where we were guaranteed to create some enemies and chaos. It’s not like nobody was saying that there were going to be problems.

I’m not sure if that was a guarantee, there were things that could have been done that may have prevented things from spiraling out of control (the cockup that was debaathification, failure to properly recognise and deal with the Sunni community’s needs early on, failure to ensure that after that was done that structures were put in place to prevent the certain people within Shia majority from undoing all that good work in short order). Maybe it’s just too much to ask though and never should have been attempted, that certainly seems to be the lesson the US has learned (the current and likely future administration at least).

In context, I think it was clear I was asking you to justify your assertions. Not only that, but this sort of smug arsholery:

could really only be justified if you had actually done anything to justify your claim. Maybe I didn’t explicitly ask you for an argument, but without one this just comes across as bluster.

It’s interesting that you mentioned before your surprise at what grown adults believe, because usually it’s children who believe grown ups know everything and never lie.

I made a decent case in my previous comment that pretty much everything is all about the oil, but I’m curious what kind of evidence would satisfy you? Do I need to find a White House press release that says “this war is all about the oil”?

All the nuclear vs. global warming stuff is off topic. My argument was that nuclear is definitely good is an opinion and one can legitimately and rationally argue otherwise – a claim I demonstrated by doing so. That is, this difference is, for some range of reasonable opinions, a reason to support Sanders and oppose Clinton.

(Which was also the point on gun control – you seem not to have picked up on that.)

That said, I’m happy to spin off a thread and trounce you on that topic there instead.

That’s all I ever meant.

Thanks! That makes Clinton look a little better at least. I mean, I still don’t believe she’s against TPP for any reasons besides political expediency but at least it’s not so glaring.

Even if that is true (that she wasn’t involved in the negotiations), she is on record as a supporter of the TPP before, she has changed her tune now. Is it enough for you that she’s behind it only for political expediency as long as she also follows through for political expediency?

I’m being completely sincere here – can you please provide citations?

Citations? You want an overview of the entire geopolitical makeup of the middle east? Start by reading about the Iran/Iraq war, no you’ll need to go back further, start with the Sunni/Shia split, then you can skip lots, pick it up from the fall of the Ottoman empire.

Again, this concedes everything relevant to the case for Sanders against Clinton

What does any of that have to do with Clinton or Sanders?

Then it kind of seems like all your arguments are based on misinterpretations of my statement. Maybe you should have gotten clarification before the smug condescension?

I don’t believe she will follow through for political expediency. The fact that she’s willing to say anything doesn’t give me any information about what she will actually do.

No, I want references to specific primary documents suggesting that you are correct about your claim. That’s the meaning of the term “citations”.

Clinton is part of a system of political power that does horrible things to foreign people to keep oil cheap. Sanders is a person who seems more likely than pretty much any other politician on the national stage to try to reform that system.

4 Likes

All the nuclear vs. global warming stuff is off topic.

Look in here if you want to continue it then.

That is, this difference is, for some range of reasonable opinions, a reason to support Sanders and oppose Clinton.

Eh, of course you should look to differences in the candidate’s positions to choose which one to vote for! That wasn’t my point at all though, which I’ve had to repeat on a few occasions now, my point is that there’s enough similarity amongst their policies for a Sanders supporter to at least grudgingly support Clinton in the general election. The idea that she’s some form of stealth Republican is not supported by her policies, unless she gets elected and doesn’t follow through on any of them (which is not a thing politicians tend to do).

(Which was also the point on gun control – you seem not to have picked up on that.)

I did, it was the last thing in the post you replied to. Same point as above.

The republicans were interested in impeaching Clinton because they thought it would be politically advantageous to do so.

Move On’s original position was

Congress must Immediately Censure President Clinton and Move On to pressing issues facing the country."

So, no, they weren’t “shills” for the Clintons. They just thought that the country had better things to do then engage in political posturing.

Of course, political posturing is the name of the game for Republicans these days, so Move On becoming a partisan for the Democratic Party was not really a hard choice, and I’m sure it aligned the organization more closely with its actual donor base.

5 Likes

Again, such didn’t seem to be the case 38 hours ago, when I received an email from MoveOn, saying “We’re going all out to help Bernie Sanders win the Democratic nomination.”

And look at MoveOn’s donation page… to “Help Elect Bernie Sanders.”

Not very faithful shills, if you ask me.

7 Likes

And that justification was based upon manufactured evidence, criminal fraud, and willful deception.

Even at it’s best, invading another nation is a serious thing and we were reckless and behaved irresponsibly when we should have been skeptical. We were optimistic when we should have been cautious. And emotional when we should have been rational.

This ruined other people’s lives and anybody who beat those drums bears some culpability and those who engaged in deception, as well as those who were in power and fanned the flames instead of listening to reasonable minds should be in jail.

It was lies and it murdered innocents thousands of miles away. We had no business there and they’re still suffering for our nation’s sins.

4 Likes

No, I want references to specific primary documents suggesting that you are correct about your claim. That’s the meaning of the term “citations”.

Try Robert Kagan’s “Of Paradise and Power: America and Europe in the New World Order”, a primer for the neocon mindset in the buildup to the invasion of Iraq. That was the prime motivation within the Bush administration.

The other stuff, the geopolitical realities of the region, the history and demographics/religion, the actions of Saddam, that was why it led to war, given the attitudes of the neocons. It wasn’t based off a simple calculation to reduce the price of a barrel of oil.

The CIA has gone on record saying that none of the emails being investigated by the congressional committee contain classified information.

1 Like

Do you have some handy references? Also keep in mind the CIA is not the sole arbiter of what information is classified.

Thanks for the recommendation. If I have an opportunity, I will try reading it with an open mind. However, I already see Kagan as an apologist for the neoliberal political order, so it is pretty much inevitable that I’ll have to take whatever he says about everyone’s motivations with a grain of salt.

From your perspective, “the geopolitical realities of the region”, “the history” (in particular, the history of US entanglement with governments of the middle east, especially since the oil crisis in the 70’s), the actions of Saddam – none of these have anything to do with oil in the first place?

Also, the fact that many of the neocons in the Bush administration have deep ties to the fossil fuel industry – you think that’s irrelevant to their motivations with respect to the middle east?

Can you point out again where I argued it did?

The world is complex. Causality is complex. Pretty much nothing is based off “a simple calculation to reduce the price of a barrel of oil”.

On the other hand, have you ever compared Cheney’s net worth pre-war to post-war? Sometimes, motivations are more complex than they seem. Other times…maybe less.

4 Likes

It’s not unconstitutional, it’s aconstitutional. The constitution does not even mention political parties, so they may choose the candidate they want to support as they see fit.

3 Likes

It’s hard to feel like this was the correct outcome when unaffiliated voters had to stand aside during the party nomination process. I’ve never felt so mortified by the two-party system, and quite frankly hope both the Democratic and Republican likely nominees lose this general election… As for Move On, would they please sit down and close their mouths.

3 Likes