Movie tickets are at an all-time high

Even with an indie first-run theater within walking distance – with $6 matinees – I mentally group movies into “cinematic experience” and “casual home viewing” these days. Mad Max, Finding Dory, Star Wars, all definite theatre movies.

By far the coolest cinematic experience I’ve had lately, though, was Hateful 8 in 70mm, complete with ovation, intermission, and programs.

Some of my most memorable theater experiences were at rowdy movie theaters watching bad movies. A midnight showing of House Party 2 at an inner-city theater with people running around in pajamas and actually partying was amazing. I lost track of what was on screen and what was actually going on around me.

5 Likes

Yeah, I live in a neighborhood where people don’t really expect a white guy to be.
A few double-takes at first, but I’m making friends and the folks here seem cool with it.

3 Likes

So you don’t live in Playas de Tijuana, that narrows it down a bit!
:wink:

1 Like

If I was more precise, it would tip criminals off.

My neighborhood is so small that even taxi and collectivo drivers need me to tell them something like Terrazas or Matamoras to know which way I’m headed. South on Insurgentes, and left at Casa Blanca is all I’m saying.

2 Likes

Your taste is impeccable. I will share my Vines with you.

When I was a kid, we didn’t get to go to the movies very often. We saw most of the biggest ones of the era (The Star Wars movies once each, courtesy of my eldest sister, plus Raiders and E.T. and some re-release of Fantasia… maybe two movies a year all told), but we’d typically go to the drive-in, which sounds horrifically quaint, but the Santee Twin we used to go to is still a going concern, last time I checked. We’d go to our local indie market to buy Red Vines and Jujubes and M&Ms, and bring a bag of popcorn that my dad popped on the stove. These days it’s apparently $9 for adults and $4 for kids, but it was probably $5 or $6 a carload when I was a kid. We’d park backwards in the station wagon, hoist the liftgate, and sprawl out on sleeping bags in the back of the car. The audio was shitty–nowadays they use an FM transmitter to send the audio through your car stereo, but it still had those crappy mono window speakers when we went there. It was a fun outing, but far from ideal viewing conditions.

Movies were rare enough for us that to this day, my sister’s favorite thing to do for special occasions like her wedding anniversaries is just to go to the movies without small kids in tow. Big bucket of popcorn and a cold drink and she’s happy as can be. Same with me. I love to go to the movies.

It’s been great since I moved to L.A. Lots of good theaters in town, half a dozen revival houses within a short drive, and some of the biggest and most spectacularly state-of-the-art screening rooms in the world, right at my fingertips.

I mean, look at these places:

The El Capitan Theater

The Chinese Theater

The Cinerama Dome

The Million Dollar Theater

I paid $29 to see Mad Max: Fury Road in 3D at the Chinese twice and I’d do it again. The screen is 46 feet tall and 94 feet wide. Sure, the popcorn and Red Vines and Mr Pibb are hugely overpriced, but I don’t care… it’s the one luxury that I indulge myself in without a moment’s hesitation. Because it’s really hard for us to find a babysitter, I still don’t get out to the movies more than three or four times a year, but I’d go every weekend if I could. Hell, when I was single, I’d go to the $4 weekday matinees at the Century 8 shitbox in North Hollywood just for the air conditioning!

Just for fun, here’s a timelapse of the renovation the Chinese underwent in 2013, showing how they dug down into the basement to extend the auditorium downward to make room for the massive screen:

8 Likes

I love going to the movies, I hate dealing with other moviegoers - the talkative, disruptive, cellphone-watching ones, at least. They utterly ruin the experience for me.

6 Likes

Don’t be so sure about that. I hadn’t been to an actual movie theater for at least half a year, but my ADULT daughter insisted we see Finding Dory on the big screen. :smile:

To be fair, it was great to see on a real screen.

4 Likes

A good crowd can make a mediocre movie amazing, or a good movie painful. I went to go see the new Ghostbusters this past weekend, and it was extremely hard to simply enjoy; an extremely enthusiastic woman SCREAMED with laughter every single time someone spoke, so loudly that I missed much of the dialogue. Another guy, two rows back, kept yelling “FUCK, LADY! SSHHHH!!” at her. And the people behind me would hiss “shut up, man!” every time he did that. Kind of uncomfortable.

4 Likes

Remember when you could do that legally? I guess I should be careful what I wish for because one theater in Long Beach allows outside food, and some people don’t use good sense when they bring in the stinkiest stuff.

We have an iPic near us. It’s one of those fancy theaters that you can pay more to have nice reclining leather seats along with food and drink service (yes, that means booze if you want it). You can also order tickets and reserve seats in advance which is nice.

While it’s obviously more spendy than your typical theater it’s totally worth it. You can have a nice meal in comfort and the high prices typically keep out the screaming kids and other disruptive riff raff (although unfortunately this isn’t guaranteed.) They don’t have the biggest screens or most ornate set up but honestly I’d rather enjoy a film on the big screen in comfort and peace over anything else.

3 Likes

This is why I love midnight openings for stuff I really want to see. People who just want to park their butts somewhere for a few hours and act like they’re in their own living room tend to go at more “normal” times. People at midnight openings really want to enjoy the movie and are mostly fun to be around.

3 Likes

Oh man that sounds awful. I remember one time I was watching the original Hunger Games movie and there was this person that would constantly gasp and say, “oh no!” or otherwise exclaim in despair whenever something emotional would occur.

Then you have the people that fall asleep and start snoring. I mean, really. Fuck those people.

4 Likes

This is why I go to matinees weeks after opening, when I do go.

My ideal is not one other person in the cinema.

7 Likes

Yeah, there’s a place like that near my parents’ house (in TX). I agree with you and recommend it.

The exception would be New Years’ Eve, when evidently most of the staff took the night off. They started the wrong film and it took about 10 minutes to switch it to the right one. Then it took about an hour for the food to come out. They did comp our food, though. (If I’d made a big stink about it, I could’ve probably got a refund for the whole evening.)

That’s my other ideal :smile_cat: I like an enthusiastic, well-behaved crowd, or as few other people as possible.

5 Likes

That whole iPic setup is a trip. They’ll even supply a blanket and pillow and practically tuck you in for your movie. My wife and I saw Avatar in one of those joints. The food was good, the experience was suitably de Luxe, but I don’t think I’ll make a habit out of it. The waiters are as obsequious and quiet as can be, but no matter how softly they tiptoe, the fact remains that you have waiters coming in and out while you’re trying to watch the goddamned movie. Fine for most craptacular movies, annoying as hell for a movie I actually want to see.

I guess it was hard to prevent at the drive-in. People would just bring whatever stash they wanted. Nowadays, I occasionally will sneak in a burrito, but usually just go with whatever the snack bar sells.

One time I took my nephews to a midweek matinee of Godzilla 2000. Nobody else was in the theater at all, so I told my nephews that I’d rented out the whole theater, just for them.

They totally bought it. I was Uncle of the Year.

9 Likes

Exactly. Screaming Laughter Lady did a lot of that, too. “OH NO, THAT’S AWFUL!” etc.

I saw The Rocketeer when it came out with a rowdy, fun crowd. Cheers, laugher, crying, and I’ll never forget – there’s a scene where a thug with big lips and a snazzy hat goes to kill a guy in a hospital, and his ominous shadow appears on a wall. In that moment of silence, some guy in front yelled “HEY! IT’S BILLY DEE WILLIAMS!”

3 Likes

Until they watched it, at least.

1 Like

It holds up. Helps to be seven. (Honestly beats Gareth’s Godzilla into a cocked hat.)

Nah, I’m being dim. Confused with Godzilla (1998).

2 Likes