Did you know that you are being watched in movie theaters?

Originally published at: Did you know that you are being watched in movie theaters? | Boing Boing

5 Likes

“with their sneaky link to do the nasty”? That’s almost quaint. It’s all about catching the pirates. And I highly doubt that they have night vision goggles unless they brought in their own.

8 Likes

Of course, how else would they find the naked people hiding in their walls?

25 Likes

Dammit! They can catch people picking their nose? Asking for a friend.

16 Likes

Does that count as smuggling in snacks?
#askingforapreschooler

38 Likes

Yucky-Poo, nasty habit.

6 Likes

Look at the bright side, you get a savory treat at the end of the tunnel!

9 Likes

That’s snot funny.

18 Likes

I have to laugh at the whole “sneaking food / drink into the cinema” thing.

Can’t speak for the US, but it’s definitely fairly normal to bring your own provisions in the UK. Have been going to the cinema for 30 years and never had anyone say anything.

10 Likes

Noted. Will continue not going to theaters.

20 Likes

IIRC, the MPAA gave theaters night vision goggles to catch pirates along with a bounty on pirates. So movie theaters aren’t just spying on you, they were financially incentivized to do so.

Regardless, I think it does make sense to have security cameras that can see what is going on in the dark even as I find the idea that there are recordings of us watching movies a bit creepy.

2 Likes

dune

52 Likes

Cool. I absolutely trust teenage theater staff to keep a lid on their pervy impulses with that sort of technology. Or avoid placing bets on whether a boog gets eaten or merely rolled and flicked.

I don’t think I’ll sit in a theater seat the same way again.

6 Likes
  1. Yes, or at least some of them. I found out the hard way as a single whispered comment got me a “Warning” at an art house theater once. Oops.

2. Good thing I am way past my years of making out in a movie theater. Sorry younger generation :confused:

5 Likes

This is common practice. I thought most people were aware.

In the industry, it’s known as “The Pee-Wee Protocol”.

2 Likes

The theaters here make most of their money from the $10 sodas and $15 popcorns, so it behooves them to be on the lookout for people depriving them of their hard-earned revenue.

5 Likes

$50 bucks? That’s enough for a large popcorn and two drinks.

6 Likes

“Well, I’ll just stay home and watch the movie on my new 70” smart TV."

Sorry, that thing is also spying on you.

20 Likes

Pretty sure any business monitoring folks needs to have a sign that says so. Seems like there should be one before patrons enter the theater. SUPER creepy.

And I’ve never seen any theater who gave two shakes of an Ebert’s thumb about “preventing theft and other stuff.” LOL

5 Likes
2 Likes