Did you know that you are being watched in movie theaters?

Ha! Mine is a dumb tv! Take that, surveillance capitalism!

8 Likes

understood-reference

2 Likes

Theatres everywhere. That’s the industry. But the teenagers working at our local mainstream cinema don’t care and it’s beneath the dignity of the older people working at the arthouse.

5 Likes

what on Earth was the comment??

If you stream The Abyss, The Abyss also streams you?

8 Likes

i now must get myself a hat with really bright IR LEDs all over it - just flood the room

14 Likes

making out (even kissing is not permissible in some theaters

This must be new.

1 Like

Same. I was never all that fond of it to start with, but finding a movie to drag the whole family to is even harder now that I’m a parent. With the pandemic, going to a public gathering like that isn’t even an option. Maybe in the future, if I ever go again, I’ll do like @Robbo suggests and wear a hat with some IR LEDs on it. I have some 3W IR LEDs for a night vision illumination project which would work great for the purpose. You don’t need to run them constantly, but just enough to mess with the AGC of the video cameras.

9 Likes

No idea. It wasn’t anything bad. A comment on the actor or something in the movie. They just had a strict no talking policy. So clearly they were monitoring the audience.

It was one of those that served food, so I guess I should have expected more moderation.

1 Like

No different here, but I’ve never heard of the staff saying anything.

the closest chain near where i live does bag checks, theoretically to stop responsible gun owners from murdering people but in reality to stop people from bringing in food and drink

i try not to go there unless friends are already going. it’s hard to understand how theaters expect you to have the requisite beer and popcorn if they don’t sell alcohol and don’t allow you to bring your own in.

4 Likes

So why can’t they notice when some asshat is looking at their phone on full brightness for the past 5 minutes?

8 Likes

Not watching closely enough, apparently.

2 Likes

At least now we know who watches the watchers.

Now who is going to watch the watcher watchers?

1 Like

At a drive-in we used to frequent back in the olden times, there was a guy we called “Captain Flashlight” who used to roam around in search of God knows what. Just imagine all the children he saw being conceived through foggy windows.

1 Like

if you pulse them around the the gain lock nyquist freq for a typical sony IR camera, it’s highly likely it will spend all of its time over or under gain.

it’s also highly likely you won’t get to see your movie.

7 Likes

I’ve noticed in years past that there would be a message around the FBI / anti-piracy message that the theater used surveillance to monitor the audience (you) for suspicious activity. Obviously everyone paid it as much attention as the FBI warning and please turn off your cell phone.

1 Like

I went to see Dune last Sunday at the Vue cinema in Leicester Square. They had the multiviewer monitor showing all the audiences on public display where you scanned your QR code ticket… definitely not covert anymore.

2 Likes

Captain America reference GIF

1 Like

US theaters charge usurious prices for concessions because they claim to make very little on ticket sales. It’s been this way for at least my entire Gen-X life. Theaters hate food being snuck in, and will kick you out if you’re caught. Now with assigned seating, they can ban you for life from their theaters.

We’ll just stay home and stream the movies on the giant TV with the boom-y sound bar, eating whatever snacks suit our fancy and consume available beverages of our choice.

@Robbo: As always, you are the best!

7 Likes