UK film industry: our cinemas patrolled by Silence of the Lambs nightvision LARPers

[Read the post]

I wonder what the UK’s stance on personal privacy hats is? http://disinfo.com/2013/01/a-diy-hat-to-prevent-your-visibility-on-cameras-and-video/

I really don’t see how this is “punishing the people who pay for movies”. It makes no difference to me if some staff member is wandering around looking for non-existent pirates.

In this case, it’s really more punishing the people that work at the theatres (by giving them extra stupid jobs to do) than the moviegoers themselves. It’s not really much of a punishment for moviegoers to have bored teenagers checking them out with nightvision goggles during the movie. Well, I guess it is if you’re the kind of person who be made uncomfortable by such a thing. I personally would not give a flying fig. When I hear about theatres doing crazy things like confiscating phones before going into the theatre, that’s where I’d be asking for a refund.

singing:

“At the late niiiiight, double featuuurre, picture shoooww…”

(“Where’s the best place to f**k?”)

“…in the back roooow…”

(“F**k the back row!”)

“At the last niiiiight, double featuuurre, picture shooooww.”

No, seriously, I remember a couple actually f**ked in the back row at a Rocky Horror screening at the Ken Cinema in San Diego, circa 1992. Probably happened every other week, but the time I was there they actually stood up and took a bow.

Pffft! Who downloads cams ?! I require HD quality.

Could we troll them with an infrared strobe?

Strobing IR Throwies. Anything ferrous in the theater could host them, and you can’t see the light with a naked eye.

There are also off-the-shelf tactical infrared markers. Essentially a 9V battery clip with an IR LED and sometimes a blinking circuit. Can be bought in some army/paintball shops. Embarrassingly easy to make, too.

Some vendors add the comical angle by claiming it is a restricted technology and refusing to sell overseas. Like if somebody would want to pay that markup.

With a laser diode and some rudimentary beam modulation it could be perhaps used as a “laser mine”, designed to trip a vehicle’s defense systems, making them think the target attracted a rangefinder or target designator attention, and keep the vehicle crew up on their toes.

I’m thinking about who’s going to pay for this, the studios? I don’t think so.

Then it’s somewhat self-defeating as the more expensive the tickets, the more likely people are to watch a pirated version instead. But I think we all realise this.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.