Ms. Tanqueray on Humans of New York is everything

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/20/tanqueray-on-humans-of-new-yor.html

6 Likes

You go Girl, you still got it.

9 Likes

10 Likes

It’s a shame that this story didn’t show up earlier. I have no doubt that David Simon would have had her, or a character based on her and her experiences, on “The Deuce” (Matty the Horse was a character on the show).

3 Likes

The stories of these kinds of everyday people are the stories I want saved somewhere, so thanks Humans Of New York for your work.

Also, I hope she has boots that match the fur hat and cuffs.

2 Likes

I haven’t been able to bring myself to resume watching the Deuce; although I thoroughly enjoyed the first season, it’s too depressing for me to pick back up any time soon.

1 Like

I stuck with it and found it a rewarding experience, but I know a lot of people who felt like you do and gave it up because the world it depicted was undeniably grim and depressing and sordid. Ms. Tanqueray would have fit in fine as a character.

1 Like

It’s undeniably a good show, IMO; but as a woman of color whose safety and well being is currently being imperiled, I personally can’t watch it as an entertaining form of ‘escapism.’

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.