MSN declared former NBA star Brandon Hunter "Useless at 42" in bizarre AI-written obituary

Originally published at: MSN declared former NBA star Brandon Hunter "Useless at 42" in bizarre AI-written obituary | Boing Boing

2 Likes

AI articles really need to be taken through gates and filters for improvement. But that journey must include a garbage can.

11 Likes

so “Story by Editor” byline was a bit of an exaggeration then? what a terrible thing to get published. i hope none of his friends or family saw it.

7 Likes

A good reminder of why you never ever put your goddamn name (even by implication) on anything that you didn’t take the time to read, let alone write.

9 Likes

I got him beat, I was useless at 22.

10 Likes

It wasn’t even an “AI written” obituary. It was literally a copy-paste of TMZ’s obituary, then seemingly run through a thesaurus to switch out words at random to make it appear different.

10 Likes

That’s largely how AI “writing” works. It finds existing writing on the subject and goes from there. I’m oversimplifying, but that’s the general idea.

9 Likes

AFAIK plagiarism with word substitution is a separate content mill technique unrelated to large language models or anything else that is referred to as AI.

4 Likes

What does AI do when there is not a broad database of information to draw from though? If the TMZ obit was the only article on the topic the AI software had to go on wouldn’t the result look a lot like something processed through some kind of word substitution algorithm?

5 Likes

I thought editors went away a long time ago, based on the rising rates of grammatical and spelling errors.

3 Likes

Well, to be fair, terrible as it is, a dead basketball player is pretty useless to his team.

I’m assuming the “Editor” is an AI.

I wonder if they weren’t using multiple techniques - i.e. some sort of automated system wrote the headline, scraped the text and chose the thesaurus system for the content, because I don’t see how either a human editor nor a thesaurus text-replacement comes up with “useless.”

An obit has a pretty standard form, so it should be able to manage reiterating the same basic information, albeit in a new form that was meandering and full of writing clichés (and potentially really weird digressions).

2 Likes

This is exactly what I was thinking happened.

4 Likes

Hah, that’s a rookie number. I was born useless.

2 Likes

I think that kind of plagiarism is called “spinning”, and the software for it is a spinner. There are a few of them available online, so if you want a really incomprehensible essay, just chain them together!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.