Sports Illustrated deletes articles by fake AI writers after exposé

Originally published at: Sports Illustrated deletes articles by fake AI writers after exposé | Boing Boing

4 Likes

There are a lot of people who hate journalists, but few whose level of loathing is matched by that of publishers who have to pay them.

Also, this Jake Ward can safely be assumed to be inhuman whether or not he’s an “AI”.

18 Likes

“fake” AI writers?

I’ll wait for the real AI writers then.

10 Likes

If you want to be read by a human, forst you must write for the machine

Words to live by!

6 Likes

“forst you must write for the machine.”

4 Likes

Tell me there are efforts being made to train up some linear algebra (ok fine: neural networks) to do multivariate kernel discrimination (might need a “Fisher” in there somewhere) on whether a piece of text is AI generated or not.

(“my AI sez your AI is an obvious AI so you need to hire my mechanical Turk …AI”)

5 Likes

that really does sound like a lame plot-point-joke right out of solar opposites.

5 Likes

And the enshittification of the internet continues…

8 Likes

Yes, but the tres keep getting in the way.

I am left wondering how long before human writers and editors adopt styles that mimic the tone of AI writing. The same way headlines trend towards clickbait.

ETA @SpongeBorg beat me to it.

2 Likes

So does this mean we’re back to the days of content farms as a business model?

you’ll need a dedicated space to practice and a full-sized volleyball. However, finding a good volleyball can be tough.

Wow, this is so obviously dumb AI writing. It’s like no one even looked at it before they hit “publish”.

Wondering, does AI-generated junk like this even have copyright protection? Someone should re-publish these articles in full and see if SI sues over it. During discovery, ask SI for evidence of who wrote it.

10 Likes

Back? When did it leave?

5 Likes

Yep. Forbes began destroying the value of its brand years ago when it converted into a content farm and vanity press. Speaking of which, I can easily see magazines like SI moving toward a model where humans who want to write for the magazine have to pay for the privilege.

6 Likes

Indeed. And this has been the case for jobseekers for a while now…

3 Likes

Yep, super disappointing that you can’t even get your resume in front of a human being until an algorithm has deemed it worthy. In my experience that’s even the case now for jobs in creative industries where in the old days you could grab someone’s attention and stand out from the crowd with some unique or clever gimmicks in the way that you put together a resumé or portfolio.

5 Likes

the ultimate mainstream stands right around the corner, doesnt it?

2 Likes

Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 18.20.48

Yeah, that checks out. (Something, something wood chip to make pulp.)

4 Likes

SI dumped most of its great sportswriters a few years ago in an attempt to become more profitable. It was once a great magazine and i subscribed for years. What has become of it is so sad i wish they had just shut down altogether.

4 Likes

Interesting disclaimer at the end of the Futurism story:

Disclosure: Futurism’s parent company, Recurrent Ventures, previously worked with AdVon in 2022 via its partnership to distribute select content on third-party e-commerce platforms. This content was written by Recurrent’s contributors. Presently, Recurrent maintains a business relationship with them to test Commerce content internationally for select brands (of which Futurism is not one). AdVon content has never been published on Futurism or any of Recurrent’s websites.

tl;dr Our proprietor has also dabbled in publishing AI-generated swill. But not here. Trust us bro.

4 Likes

Humans aren’t the audience. Google’s algorithm is.

They’re exploiting a Google bug by making a page with the title the same as a competitor page’s URL. Google mistakenly merges the two, and gives the link and rankness to the fake. The text is filler, and they probably need something texty and unique for each page, so Lorem ipsum won’t work.

5 Likes

The only connection between Sports Illustrated and “Jake Ward” is that @beschizza mentioned them in the same post.

2 Likes