Musician Ariel Pink used unauthorized photo of artist Jill Miller on album cover, so now she's selling alternative covers featuring Ariel as NFTs

Exclusive rights to digital goods via NFTs is conceptually interesting but in reality it’s pretty dumb. People don’t really think of digital goods as scarce commodities, so charging absurd amounts of money over something anyone can right click and save is something i can’t get behind. On the instances where the NFT is coupled with some kind of real world perk i think that does make it more useful, but its shoe horning NFT functionality to other things that really don’t need it. Ultimately it all reeks of desperation and shadiness

4 Likes

That’s where you and I disagree. I don’t even think it’s especially interesting. :wink:

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

What a miserably unfair characterization of all the problems with NFTs that have been quoted at you. It was even explicitly mentioned there are other ways for artists to get paid for their work.

9 Likes

Your friend isn’t paying the shipping fees; the buyer is. And I doubt they’re paying that amount to ship a tube. They’re shipping a high value product at that level- not something someone is going to spend 99 cents on.

Which is all besides the point. NFT’s give all their value to grifting “investors” - not artists. The value they no longer have as the marketplace considers them a scam. You can’t force customers to buy worthless shit at vastly inflated prices.

That was a terrible retirement plan; as Ponzi schemes tend to be.

6 Likes

We went over this two years ago

7 Likes

I am a visual artist. I have both bought and sold digital assets online. I still have no use whatsoever for NFTs.

10 Likes

Also, the thing is…there is not a single “the Blockchain” there are hundreds, thousands, or more of them, each with their own NFTs minted on them.

Let’s say I want to buy an NFT of a specific image. I go looking and I find that the same image has been minted as an NFT on, let’s keep it simple, the Ethereum and the Chia Blockchain. Using only the information on each Blockchain and no external information prove conclusively which is “the real one”. If you can’t do it then what value does the NFT/Blockchain provide?

It’s a trick question. The original artist minted both NFTs, each with a different wallet, and then listed them each on two different NFT marketplaces under two different usernames. They have never used the wallets for anything else, kept them cold with only printed paper keys, which they burned just before being hit by a bus.

You can still buy those, but you will never be able to prove that one is the original artwork because the images are identical, but tied to two different Blockchain entries on two different Blockchains. You would never know for sure that either of them was actually created by the original artist without using information from outside the Blockchain, because anyone can take an image and mint an NFT from it.

Normally in the art world if you had two instances of the same painting you would go to an expert who would make a determination as to which was authentic. Since the blockchains do not independently provide any reassurance as to the provenance of the art beyond the minting on the Blockchain what value has been provided, really? All you are ever “buying” is an entry in a database.

NFTs don’t even create digital scarcity unless you close your eyes to the reality of them

3 Likes

Dude, there are other ways that don’t involved printing and shipping or NFTs. It’s literally a solution in search of a problem that did not exist… :woman_shrugging: Also, as Kathy notes, you roll the price of shipping into the costs for the person buying the artwork. Problem solved!

4 Likes

Or if the recipient wants a physical print you send the digital file to a printer in their area instead of printing it at home and shipping it around the world. This has been a pretty common practice since the 1990s.

2 Likes

So many options that don’t involve BS blockchain whatchamacallits…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.