My first Enigma machine: Mattel once sold a Barbie typewriter with built-in crypto capabilities

Reminds me a bit of this kids toy hack:

https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/turning-an-8-childs-toy-into-a-spectrum-analyser

While you’re at it:

2 Likes

My first thought was that a Barbie-branded Slovenian crypto-tech artifact from the 90s would fit right in most William Gibson novels written in the last two decades or so.

It might already be in there somewhere, I don’t claim to have read it all.

7 Likes

Why not as an adult? :wink:

2 Likes

This certainly isn’t unique to these devices; but it’s always sort of bittersweet(in a ‘taste of post-scarcity’/‘and this is what we do with it?’ sort of way) to encounter a device that has extra cool features not because the vendor wants it to; but because it would be more expensive to strip them out than it would be to just leave them in.

As noted, the barbie-branded hardware never documented the features; but the firmware was borrowed from something else for cost reasons; and it wasn’t worth the trouble of cutting them, so there they are.

A small thing; but it isn’t every day that you get more because it would be more expensive to give you less.

5 Likes

Well “not in the manual” improves OPSEC and decreases the chance of interception by the 'rents. And a teen girl crypto machine REALLY calls out for Gallagher Girls tie-in marketing http://www.thegallaghergirls.com/

Interestingly enough, introduced on International (Working) Women’s Day.

What a marketing tie-in!

Sure, why the fuck not? Because they added a female romantic interest in there and that was so on point. :smirk:

3 Likes

And they could have called it the Barbie Turing Machine.

2 Likes

I do wish they would do more series. It’s a shame the premise of the show makes doing so a little awkward; there’s only so many mysteries to re-unite the old team before it starts to feel a little forced.

2 Likes

I kept hoping they would set up a “consulting detectives” agency and be kick ass gumshoes, but they never got around to it. Anything to get more Anna Maxwell Martin on our screens.

2 Likes

Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?

NKZMOKWZJFEEMAAMDZXTLRNYZGIFTORZNQPXULTTMZMT
GIJOEITHINKKENISBEGINNINGTOSUSPECTLOVEBARBIE

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.