My life on the road: Marrakesh

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/09/my-life-on-the-road-marrakesh.html

6 Likes

I started recording the calls to prayer while I was there last month.

There was a mosque that was practically next door to our AirBnB.

2 Likes

One of my most memorable images from Morocco back in the mid 90’s, was of an old man sitting on the curb, using a fist size rock to file down his toenails. You just don’t see that everyday!

Also if you get a chance to try the street food of a butterflied sardine, grilled over charcoal, and topped with minced mint leaves and a squeeze of lemon, don’t miss it.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to read the next installment!

4 Likes

Food and prices were pretty standardized in 1980 when I was there, too. What you’re seeing is a true free market, friend. Prices go down until people are just barely making money, because they live on very little to start with. Every stall is owned by a family, not by a deep-pocketed corporation attempting to drive others out of business. They have loyal customer bases from friendships and family ties, not so much from inventing the next fad food or two-for-one Tuesdays.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.