Myers-Briggs too complicated? Scientists identify four personality clusters

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/18/myers-briggs-too-complicated.html

4 Likes

Of course Myers-Briggs has been shown to be bullshit anyway. TLDR people are complicated and will answer those tests in different ways even a week later.

21 Likes

Roger That!

2 Likes

You usually tell the truth: Agree. Hah! I lied!

6 Likes

That’s why all the cool kids these days are doing enneagrams, which is a different kind of bullshit from my understanding.

I only recently learned about enneagrams and I thought at first that it sounds like some kind of Scientology thing.

2 Likes

It’s a shame that corporate America’s HR Culture is still so obsessed with this nonsense. At this stage in my career and life the quizzes are just silly toys but for many people the result can make the difference between getting a job or not.

9 Likes

“The fourth group is sort of average…There is really very little to say about the average.”
I speedwatched the video. There is really very little to say about the video.

3 Likes

Your instinct is correct. Enneagrams are associated with all kinds of bullshit self-help MLM kinda nonsense.

6 Likes

The only thing reliable about those tests is that if you get one as part of a job application process, it’s time to sprint for the door.

7 Likes

I’m sticking with the Zodiac. I’m a visual thinker.

5 Likes

THANK YOU. I cannot believe how many people buy into that garbage. It’s like corporate horoscopes. I redid the fawning Wikipedia article to include the substantial criticism.

8 Likes

I would like to know more about your classification. What are TSDW people like?

12 Likes

The four personality clusters: Phlegmatic, Choleric, Melancholy and Sanguine?
Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin?

16 Likes

They don’t get to their actual clusters later in the video, but at that point I was quite excited that they might be saying “screw it, Hippocrates was right all along and we’re going with the Four Humours.”

9 Likes

Scientists identify 5 personality types:

4 personality types which fall into neat clusters

And a fifth type for the people who like to use graphs to identify personality types.

9 Likes

I initially saw this as “meat” clusters. :cut_of_meat:

Carry on.

5 Likes

Pooh, Eeyore, Piglet and Tigger.

8 Likes

Leonardo Donatello Raphael Michelangelo
Marge Lisa Bart Homer
Fred Velma Shaggy Daphne

4 Likes

People who discount MBTI are usually ESTJ/ISTJ.

4 Likes

OK, first off whenever I hear some kind of background music in an explainer video I am instantly suspicious. In film, music is often used to drive emotion and manipulate the audience to feel a certain way. In this case, it starts with piano and then adds strings at around 2:10 to increase excitement. In other words, the video seems to be produced in a way that doesn’t just present information for the audience to reckon with, but instead wants to convince the audience to get hyped about the findings (and Northwestern).

TLDNR - This video reads like an advertisement and makes me want to call bullshit on its contents.

2 Likes