Mysterious creature torments man on kayak in Amazon (video)

At least it wasn’t this monster:

9 Likes

Casual Geographic discussed this bird, because of course he did! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

Has anyone come up with an explanation for this that isn’t a joke?

4 Likes
4 Likes

Silly, there are no monsters in nature. They all live in DC and Wall Street.

2 Likes

Pirarucu…

[Arapaima gigas - Wikipedia]

5 Likes

Are you sure? The coloring looks different, and the monster in the video look a lot bigger.

4 Likes

I thought they were all getting snipped? Is that not working out?

2 Likes

Other vídeos say they were peixes-boi, the Brazilian cousin of Flórida Manatee. It probably shouldn’t be a fish like the Jaú or Pirarucus, as the largest specimens of these animals prefer calmer waters, without currents. I think…

3 Likes

I am not sure. I have read conflicting reports about these animals. I didn’t know there were so many individuals there in Colombia.

3 Likes

Apparently the whole herd of manatees display the startled reaction when only one of them gets spooked. Looks like some crazy synchronized swimming.

4 Likes

I like the way that it seems quite calm until it actually runs up against the kayak. Then it’s like:

“Something brushed my leg/tail/fin/tentacle!!! Arrrgh! Aaaargh! GET IT OFF ME!!!”

Even monsters have a startle reflex, it seems.

6 Likes

Crazy! I never thought of manatees going berserk. To tell the truth, I never thought of manatees. It would be terrifying suddenly to have the river explode around you.

3 Likes

OK, so I showed the video to a Brazilian guy in the office down the hall, and he said without hesitation “monstro.”

So, mystery solved, it’s some creature called a monstro.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.