Mysterious holes in Siberia may be craters of climate change explosions

Yup. The climate is warming far faster in the northern latitudes than on the rest of the earth, so we can expect more of this. This is, in fact, one of the dangerous feedbacks that people have been talking about for years, but I always kind of imagined that the methane bubbles would be a whole lot smaller.

1 Like

More likely Alanis will be annoyed by you. Great voice, but she can be moody!

Quoth the Mole Men:

“Arrgh! The light! The light is too much for our huge, underdeveloped, subterranean eyes!!!”

2 Likes

2 Likes

I thought those were “prinnies”?

And that’s not the only danger. The last survey team barely made it out with their ship.

9 Likes

The reason probably has something to do with your mom.

3 Likes

Popping Pingos.

Looks like a pre-spice mass had reached it’s crtitical size to me and blown it’s top.

2 Likes

Earth Zit?

With the scale of the holes, seems more likely…:

3 Likes

That image combined with @simonize’s “Earth Zit?” gag has me thinking one thing:

Humungous Bot Fly.

1 Like

Nothing to see here, move on. There is no climate change, and if anyone keeps saying that I will throw him/her in that hole.

On a more serious thought, such explosive happenings should classify as terrorism and climate change deniers and their accomplishes should be prosecuted as such.
I also hope the methane, if it is indeed methane, burns good cause we dont need any more methane in the atmosphere.
And if it is indeed methane and gets released in the atmosphere, boy what a party this one will be…

1 Like

Too bad the oil&gas plutocrats in Russia have even better protection from lawsuits than ours do, depending on their relationship with the regime.

The methane is “exploding” in the same sense as the CO2 comes out of solution and “explodes” out of a shaken can of beer. Think volcanic explosion, not combustion explosion.

1 Like

If there was any sort of ‘explosion’ wouldn’t one of the seismic networks have picked it up? They could probably tell a lot from the records of how fast it collapsed.

I was talking about this earlier, and what I said, I’m calling here now: when global warming becomes too catastrophic to ignore, the religious right are gonna rebrand it as the rapture. You heard it here first…

1 Like

Titan is beginning to look welcoming.

In Russia … now which way round again?

Globe warms you?

4 Likes