Mysterious swimming pool found in abandoned Baltimore townhouse

First rule about Swim Club: don’t talk about Swim Club.

38 Likes

A giraffe bath house brothel of cleanliness and bestiality? Maybe I’m starting to veer now.

5 Likes

Steel cable.

3 Likes

Weird! But Baltimore is weird, so not exactly shocking.

I was just in that area last night for dinner with a couple friends. Funny to picture this place nearby!

Maybe this is Michael Phelps’ secret lair! :wink:

1 Like

He might just not want to publicise a foreclosure that suggests he couldn’t afford the mortgage.

7 Likes

That’s not a pool, that’s a future Wine Cellar. Just cover it over with some flooring and add a real staircase and trap-door.

4 Likes

Pittsburgh. Honestly I love the house – just not what this guy did with it.

This area looks a bit like the War Streets/Central Northside/Deutschtown area where I lived for a few years. Little fucked up rowhomes for $150k a block from (or even literally next door to) magnificently renovated victorian manses for four times the price.

Crime seems … higher … in Baltimore.

4 Likes

It was already pretty gentrified when I was at school 20 years ago.

Or one (or two) of these: https://www.genuwinecellars.com/wine-cellars/spiral-wine-cellars/

1 Like

It strikes me that if there’s a basement, the pool is just plastered over a framed out structure in it and you could just remove it. This does look only a few blocks from water, though, might not even be one.

2 Likes

Sure as hell was 30 years ago. Saw my first bar fight!

5 Likes

I wouldn’t call Fell’s Point run down, not the heart of the area, anyway. And the average price for those row homes isn’t 170K, not by a long shot. A lot of the homes down there are actually quite pricey. Much more expensive than my row home in the northern part of Baltimore City, several blocks from Johns Hopkins’ Homewood campus.

3 Likes

By the standards of sketchy makeshift foreclosure surprises that actually looks really safe and well thought out. I don’t see a single set of tied together ladders in place of a staircase.

1 Like

I know it is a typo. But I would wager there is truth in that typo.

14 Likes

I’d love to have such place - with a bit of work it would be awesome :slight_smile:

8 Likes

It’s funny, I’ve actually sort of fantasized about having a row home that you really open up, so it’s maybe one main space (plus separate kitchen and bath) going up 2 stories, with a little mezzanine with small sleeping area accessed via spiraling stairs. Or something. I mean, it’s not a real plan, but I’ve certainly had the idea – think I even might have dreamed about it, once. :slight_smile:

Wasn’t picturing a pool, however!

3 Likes

I’ve always wanted something like this:

11 Likes

I had a friend who bought the end townhouse in a row, and got special authorization to add a less-than-50%-wide addition so long as it appeared from the outside to be entirely in keeping with the entire structure. What they did was create a 2-story atrium that made the place look like a “C” (with a wall closing off the open part) from a bird’s eye view. Ingenious, and not terribly expensive for what they got.

8 Likes

We may never know, but there does seem to be some “orgy logic” to the layout.

2 Likes

I own a really small flat (12 square meters) with a mezzanine sleeping area. It really helps save space and I love it.

When I have more free time I plan to make a flotation tank in one of the spare bedrooms at parents house. It would be perfect for deep meditation. I would probably make it from fiberglass and epoxy resin.

5 Likes