Mystery solved of eerie sound coming through Starliner speaker docked at space station

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/09/02/mysterious-eerie-sound-coming-through-starliner-speaker-freaked-out-astronauts-stuck-on-space-station.html

7 Likes
16 Likes

:notes: “Daisy, Daisy…” :notes:

18 Likes

“Well… Janice who designed the last orbiter’s operating system, has retired and we’re over two years late on the contract as it is, what the @#$! do we do?”

“No prob! 'Hey chatgpt! Write me a space ship operating system in… what is it… ‘VxWorks’…?”

18 Likes

“who knew space stations were so hard?!”
ISS communications systems are complex. Boeing Starliner’s comms…
built to maximize shareholder dividends, and who you going to talk to in space, anyway?

16 Likes

Don’t ignore those weird noises!
season 6 episode 23 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

11 Likes

If it starts saying anything about “Let there be light!”, it’s probably too late.

12 Likes

A machine that goes “ping”? It goes in the operating room.

20 Likes

or below decks in a Navy destroyer.

6 Likes

The response seemed like kind of a non-answer.

6 Likes

Oh, that’s just the self-destruct timer, pay it no mind…

8 Likes

“I slowed down the beeping until I heard that it is actually a voice recording… I thought it said “liberate me” - “save me.” But it’s not “me.” It’s “liberate tutemet” - “save yourself.” And it gets worse…”

13 Likes

:loudspeaker:
!!!claxons sound!!!
"ONE MINUTE UNTIL SELF DESTRUCT, ALL PERSONNEL GO TO EMERGENCY LIFE CAPSULES…:
"FIFTY-NINE SECONDS…
…":loudspeaker:

7 Likes

You see the SAPS software was originally written to look for seismic events and I think when it gets confused it runs home to momma. Sir, I’m sorry, listen to it at 6 times speed. Now, that’s gotta be man made captain.

14 Likes

Aliens Ufos GIF by GIPHY News

4 Likes

The synopsis reads like it randomly started happening over the weekend, which I suppose is possible if something else was turned on or added that started causing some feedback. But I’m imagining waking up in the middle of the “night” with something like this blaring out over one singular speaker. I’ve seen Silent Hill…I’m good.

7 Likes

It must be a belgian ebm band.

3 Likes

Cloister Bell?

4 Likes

“The space station audio system is complex, […]”

“The astronaut held his microphone to the speaker […]”

Yeah, that’s some cutting edge space age high tech communications system right there…

To be fair, Wilmore is from a generation where the kids used to pirate songs by holding a dinky cassette tape player close to their parents’ radio or TV and press record.

5 Likes

Yeah… I’m thinking it was really a long-dead Boeing employee trapped in the inner hull. When they dig them out, they’ll find them holding a wrench and bang marks on the hull.

3 Likes