Mystery solved of who destroyed this beloved Michigan landmark sculpture... and why

Hm.

5 Likes

Came here for “Won’t Somebody Please Think of the Children,” received “Won’t Somebody PLease Think of the Children.” 10/10 - well played.

2 Likes

All absolute nonsense, of course - it’s been there for years. The idea that anyone found it suddenly objectionable…I can only imagine the absolutely insane levels of joyless spite that went into any so-called complaint .

If I recall correctly, the opposite / negative of the sculpture is somewhere in Woodbridge / northern Cass Corridor in Detroit.

10 Likes

I love it! But isn’t it kind of like “Table Mesa”? :nerd_face:
(A shout out to all those current and former Boulderites out there!)

3 Likes

At this point you could substitute “arseholes” for “the children” and it will be more accurate in 90% of cases.

5 Likes

Something I’m missing from the article and others about this removal that I see on line: Any discussion of why the the Visual Artists Rights Act of 1990 would not apply.

“VARA grants the right to prevent any intentional or grossly negligent
destruction of your work if it is of “recognized stature”— that
is, if the arts community or a segment of the public thinks
the work is significant”

2 Likes

We have Blucifer (Blue Mustang) by our airport; famed for killing its own artist. If you want to scare children, this is how to do it. No toppling in over 15 years.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.