Mystery solved of who destroyed this beloved Michigan landmark sculpture... and why

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/08/05/mystery-solved-of-who-destroyed-this-beloved-michigan-landmark-sculpture-and-why.html

8 Likes

the simpsons helen GIF

23 Likes

Via Allan Rose Hill

Content:

In 2011, artist John Sauve was commissioned to create a public sculpture on a park hilltop in Lyon Charter Township, Michigan. The “Man In The City” is a 20-foot tall metal sculpture of a gentleman in silhouette. Visible from the I-96 freeway, the sculpture became a beloved landmark in the area. But in early July, somebody toppled the statue and left it where it fell. Sauve assumed it was vandals. But after a Local 4 TV news story, the real culprits came forward.

A letter from Lyon Township attorneys took credit for knocking it down.

“The township received numerous complaints from residents who found the sculpture inappropriate and frightening to their children,” the letter stated. The note also referenced that a few years ago, “lights were added to the statue, which is located in close proximity to the airport.”

According to ClickOnDetroit, “the township made contact with individuals to remove the sculpture” but Sauve said he never heard a word of concern and the letter didn’t say who they reached out to.

The Township has given Sauve just a few days to move the sculpture from the site or they’ll destroy it entirely.

24 Likes

Townships: Making HOAs look like saviors since 19-something-something.

23 Likes

okay, let’s see evidence of the “numerous” complaints.

and who wants to raise their children to be total snowflakes?

15 Likes

Oooo, man in hat is scaaaary to children! Hiiiiighly plaaaausible! (makes ghosty hands)

Also, why no letter to the artist before knocking it down? “Hey, we don’t like this anymore and want it gone. Could you come move it in the next six weeks?” Only psychos jump straight to the vandalism option.

26 Likes

I’m disappointed that the artists’ parents called him John, rather than Urbane; Urbane Sauve would have been a great name.

15 Likes

“found the sculpture inappropriate and frightening to their children”

You’ve got to be fucking kidding me. How the fuck … ?

26 Likes

I’ve driven past that piece many times without becoming frightened. My biggest complaint was that it was crooked. Why go through all the trouble of placing something like that and leave it clearly unlevel?

22 Likes

The statue is their property, so they could have removed the lights. Or perhaps they were just stockpiling pretexts for removing the statue.

17 Likes

“inappropriate” is the ultimate weasel word.

13 Likes

“lights were added…in close proximity to the airport”

That is a provably 100% bullshit statement. If those lights were in any way interfering with navigation or aviation, the FAA would have been on it like flies on Pence.

35 Likes

bonus points for “like flies on Pence”

12 Likes

The city’s reasoning is such obvious bullshit. Within a year they’ll have raised a crucifix in the same spot and it will be the result of a “gift from a billionaire who wishes to remain anonymous “

17 Likes

So what? So are street lights. Unless they have a letter on file from someone qualified to have an opinion, it sounds like more “Waaaah! I don’t like it!” fluff.

12 Likes

This is complete BS!! It was a cool sculpture! Bunch a Karen’s there!

4 Likes

Republicans

Same song, second verse.

14 Likes

I kind of hope that an underground artist puts up a giant penis sculpture in the same spot.

12 Likes

AND it will be lit with super-bright lights, no doubt.

I hope that as a result of this publicity the artist can sell it at a premium to an owner who appreciates it.

11 Likes

Since 1776, even.

4 Likes