NASA deals huge blow to Boeing, Starliner crew to return with SpaceX

Both JAL and BA have fleets with alternatives which are less likely to crash than Boeing 777s. The booking form tells you the model of aircraft scheduled for the flight – obviously it might get changed but that’s a risk of life – so we avoided flights on 777s.

Actually my daughter is flying out on Finnair because she wants to do a pilg to the Moomin shop, and Finnair mostly operate Airbus.

4 Likes

They’re getting clean underwear sent on Crew-9.

2 Likes

Jealous.

It can, however, be seen from space…

1 Like

That was my thought – you know you screwed up bad when an Elon Musk company is the BETTER alternative.

3 Likes

Which raises the very real possibility that Musk is currently pitching a fit because someone seized control of the public relations lever before he could post that his specially designed submarine was headed to ISS.

4 Likes

Is it the 777 in particular that you’re concerned about, or is it anything made by Boeing? Other than the two Malaysian Airlines planes (one shot down, one dissapeared and presumably crashed intentionally by a crazy pilot) I’m only aware of one fatal 777 crash, where 3 people died in that botched landing of Asiana Flight 214.

The majority of JAL’s active fleet is Boeings. (126 out of their 146 planes)

2 Likes

So who’s on the hook for the incredible amount of overtime that Wilmore and Williams are piling up? Can this be charged back to Boeing? :moneybag: :moneybag:
Even with taxes they should make out like bandits.

2 Likes

There’s also the long-term health effects. Spending more than 90 days in space is really, really hard on the body.

8 Likes

It’s easier to parcel off parts of the job to subcontractors than it is to re-establish the teams that used to do those jobs in-house. The smart, experienced people you used to employ don’t hang around waiting for the phone to ring. This was always about money and short-term profits. Now that the quality has obviously and fatally deteriorated, it’s going to eat up a lot of profits to re-build. We’ll see if anyone at Boeing has the guts it takes to do it right.

2 Likes

I’d wager that Boeing has somehow downgraded them to status of contractors, and so they are no longer eligible for overtime. I also expect their medical and dental coverage is cancelled since they can’t go to the doctor anyway.

/s but only a little

7 Likes

The astronauts work for NASA, they don’t work for Boeing.

2 Likes

Charlie Day Ok GIF

5 Likes

We feel Boeing has a bad smell around it. The 777 triggered a series of revelations about their declining quality control. Consequently we’d rather avoid their planes if possible, and the 777 in particular.

1 Like

I get not wanting to fly Boeing, but what is in particular about the 777? Are you thinking of the 737 and 737 Max? That’s the one with all the high-profile quality control issues lately and those two terrible crashes that were 100% Boeing’s fault.

1 Like

Or, perhaps, the 787? (Battery fires etc.)

2 Likes

The posts I was responding to specifically and repeatedly singled out the 777 so I was legitimately curious to know if there really is a specific concern with that model that I was unaware of. But go ahead and call it hairsplitting if you will.

4 Likes

9 Likes
6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.