Starliner return delayed again, this time indefinitely

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/23/starliner-return-delayed-again-this-time-indefinitely.html

4 Likes

image 5-12 (signaling)

21 Likes

Since it’s still a test flight, if they were really worried they could return the Starliner unoccupied and send a Crew Dragon to retrieve the astronauts.

And I know they’re rivals, but it seems like Boeing should ask SpaceX about using StarLink for real time telemetry on the return flight. The data from Starship was incredible.

7 Likes

Contributed by Gail Sherman

11 Likes

I don’t see the reason to rush this. I’m sure that the crew of STS-107 would have preferred for some extra time to weigh-up the options on their re-entry.

16 Likes

Or maybe not rushing things and launch with a faulty stack in the first place.

18 Likes

IMG_4683

15 Likes
8 Likes

“Once the rockets go up, who cares where they come down? That’s not my department.” says Werner von Braun.

9 Likes

Wernher.
Prussians, whaddaya gonna do.

12 Likes

My oops.

2 Likes

Will it? Wikipedia suggests that there’s no suitable launch vehicle for the long term.

1 Like

Well, not yet, anyway.
Elon might as well install those extra seats for the next Dragon mission to the ISS.

3 Likes

Does this mean the astronauts will be eligible for a cash refund under the new DoT guidelines?

15 Likes

Are they employees? Do they qualify for overtime? Does the ISS count as US territory for tax purposes? For now I bet they are happy they have air to breathe. Will Boeing get charged for the resources used by the crew? And hey-how many people have gotten an extended stay in space? It’s something to tell the grandkids about!

4 Likes

The corporate-speak is creepy:
"According to NASA, engineers plan to address the helium leak using “spacecraft testing and operational solutions.” In other words, managers don’t anticipate any need to physically repair the leak.

“As a part of the testing, Boeing will bring the propulsion system up to flight pressurization just as it does prior to launch, and then allow the helium system to vent naturally to validate existing data and strengthen flight rationale,” NASA officials wrote in a blog post Tuesday. Flight rationale is NASA-speak for gaining confidence in understanding a problem and getting comfortable it would not pose an added risk during the flight."

Also added this for “guess they done fucked around and found out”

6 Likes

Stardust, all. :cry:

That this mission was ever launched knowing that there were numerous unaddressed issues is a travesty and points to just how corrupt and foul these vendor relationships are at NASA.

3 Likes

perhaps the plan is to offer them double! their frequent flyer miles.
or a significant discount on a Carnival cruise…

upon successful completion of returning to earth, alive. certain terms and conditions apply. may not be available in all states. check all life support systems before attempting return to earth. [The Company] is not responsible for sudden onset of rapid disintegration on descent. talk to your doctor before attempting descent. do not descend if you are allergic to falling or any symptoms of falling. rapid onset descent may have severe side effects, including death. frequent flyer miles may not be used on certain blackout dates.

talk to your pharmacist or travel agent today to see if [The Company] travel miles are for you.

7 Likes

Do you mean the Starliner launch, or Challenger (the pic linked)?

IIRC, with Challenger the issue was the other way around: the contractor warned NASA not to launch on that freezing cold morning, and NASA management over-rode the decision. The contractor’s data presentation about why not to launch has become the stuff of legend in how not to present data.

5 Likes

I can only imagine what Elon is so hoping for in his heart of hearts.

1 Like