NASA is demolishing historic Apollo and Space Shuttle launch pads

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/25/nasa-is-demolishing-historic-apollo-and-space-shuttle-launch-pads.html

3 Likes

I expect that more than a few people would like to purchase a memento of the launch pad; maybe a nut, a bolt, a rivet or a section of steel.

14 Likes

If I had a couple billion lying around, I’d buy it and turn it into the world’s most awesome RV.

5 Likes

From a historical preservation viewpoint, that is very unfortunate, to say the least.

6 Likes

I hope they make a time-lapse.

What would you have them do, though?

2 Likes

They are likely be underwater in less than fifty years anyway, there really is no way to move them and they need the space for upgrades. Better we replace these than pave over more of Florida.

8 Likes

Would’ve made a cool museum. Hard to believe they’re short on space.

6 Likes

I do get that this is the optimal spot for launching, so maybe they don’t have much of a choice, but it is still unfortunate that they have to dismantle such a historic structure. No win/win choices.

6 Likes

While I agree there’s not much they can do, I’m sure they’ll find a way to suitability memorialise the pads in an innovative way. NASA rightfully takes a lot of pride in it’s history.

5 Likes

Just let me know when you take it out for a vacation. I don’t want to be behind you on the highway…

2 Likes

You might be thinking of the Crawler-Transporters. They are used to move the mobile launcher platforms. The picture below shows the MLP sitting on the CT.

4 Likes

At least the six launch pads on the moon are safe.

1 Like

You believe in the moon?

Goddammit. I was hoping to snag one on the cheap for my volcano lair.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.